Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Features and Value., May 25, 2006
This review is from: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent) (Camera)
The bag is just shy of a standard sized backpack/bookbag, just slightly shorter. It's black nylon/cordura or whatever that fabric is called now, with an olive accented panel on the front. Two Canon logos are visible from the front, nothing gaudy or obnoxious. It doesn't really scream "camera bag" either - just your run of the mill black backpack I guess.

What I like about the most is that it opens a clam shell fashion. This is a big step up from my previous bag, where you had to undo a flap cover, and then undo a zipper that basically cut the bag in half - not a very speedy or convenient process. The Canon bag is easy access; the camera sits right at the top, and you can remove it without having to totally open the bag up. Another thing I find nice is the amount of useable space. A couple more dividers would be nice, but I can use the leftovers from my previous bag if needed. In the main compartment, I can fit my Drebel body, with 28-105 attached, 28-300, 128mm prime, 16mm zenitar, 8mm Peleng, 50mm Takumar prime, 18-55 kit lens, flash, cheapo slave flash, and two coversion lenses (.24 wide angle, and 1.5 tele - both are junk, but are keen for that lensbaby effect). After all that, I still have a little space leftover for another lens - or battery and charger, or pack of smokes. I could probably even free up some more space if I rearranged the dividers, or leave a couple lenses behind and pack another body. That's just the main compartment.

There are two zipper pockets on the front of the bag, one sort of shallow,

you could fit maybe an envelope in it. The other pocket utilizes the entire

length of the flap - you could fit a few magazines, maps, socks or a t shirt

in there with no problem. There's even a small hook inside the pocket - for keys maybe? If not, there's enough room to hang a Camelback bladder - at least the smaller sized ones. Covering the front pocket is another sort of open laced pocket, with a drawcord that tightens it all up. A windbreaker/pants would fit in there easily, or maybe even a folded up reflector. The front pockets expand outward from the bag, so you can stuff them pretty full and still close it with no issues.

Either side of the bag is flanked by smaller pockets, with a hook/loop closure.

They are not really the `right size' for anything - and I'm not sure I trust the

closure method on them either. Still, at least they are there if you need them,

or if you need to lose something. I have yet to discover any hidden or non

advertised pockets or zippers...

The bag also has plenty of straps all over the place: the main shoulder straps are quite wide - I'm not sure they are actually a bonus - in fact they are admittadly awkward at first, but you get used to them. There's a small breast strap that connect them together on the front, and also a strap for you waist. Two extra straps on the side, not sure what their uses are. Also two straps on the bottom, for a tripod I presume.

Now, for the critical stuff.

Now, $35.00 is pretty cheap for a backpack/camera bag, right? So what's the catch? The first nit I would note is that the build quality - not sub par, but also not on the level of a $150.00 bag. That said, I would note all the seams are sewn completely, no frayed threads, and the zippers align and and work as they should. The material, while being labled as "water repellent" (urethane coated!), is also a lessor grade of nylon than you find on pricier bags. If you own a Camelback, you wold notice a difference in material quality, for instance. The webbed pockets on the inside, seem solidly sewn in place, but I'm not sure I'd want to test just how far you can stretch them, you can sort of feel a "give point" just beyond where everything seems tight. Hmmm, actually the build quality is okay, it's more the materials I have issue with.

I wish there were some tie downs or buckles to keep the loose ends of the straps

under control. Not really a performance issue, just keen attention to details. The main zipper has a small rain flap running its entire length, but some reason is just seems backwards - like maybe it should face the other way. I am concerned about being caught in the rain with it, seems like the water would rush right in. Good thing I'm in the desert.

Last thing, is the shoulder straps. They are about two inches wide. I can see the

logic behind this, potentially heavy weight one's back adds up after a while, but it seems that their width may add to fatique rather than relieve it. I have yet to test this theory though... I may report back in a while with my findings, just because I find them so odd.

But any criticism has to be taken with a grain of salt as well; it is, after all, a $35.00

camera backpack. For the price, it offers convenience and features that far outweigh

nitpicky negatives I've commented on. I only raise them to make people aware - it's not like getting a $200.00 bag for 40 bucks. But it is like getting a really keen bag for 35.

[Add comment]