Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on September 29, 2010
Bottom line, I liked this story. The concept was very similar to Neverwhere written by Neil Gaiman, but different enough to stand on its own. The story is one of a hidden world in plain sight in today's London. While magic plays into the plot as do magical creatures, it doesn't over-power the story and isn't really what the story is about (it's more of the backdrop against which the story takes place).

My litmus test for whether I like a story is generally if I can remember the names of the characters... meaning do I form an attachment to them in some way (be it respect, hate, etc) and whether I felt compelled to finish it. In the beginning it felt a bit unpolished and took a few chapters to get going but as the began to unfold I was hooked. I wouldn't expect any major surprises as you can generally see where it's going but like I said, I enjoyed it.

I'd say it's solidly GOOD not great and I'd rate it around 3.5 stars (4 being stuff I really like and 5 being my favorites). I paid $4 for it (looks like it's free right now) and I'd do so again. It was enough to make me purchase the second in the series.

(Note: There are issues with the formatting as others have described).
11 comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?