Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't meet expectations compared to other cloud storage apps, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Prime Photos from Amazon (App)
I was hoping this app and the cloud drive might be a suitable replacement or alternative for Dropbox -- my current method of cloud/phone/desktop picture organizer, but it is not. Dropbox desktop app uses a lot of memory and probably the phone (Android) app does too although I haven't monitored it. I wanted to see if the AmzCloudDrive apps are more lightweight. They sure are, but too much so!

Phone app issues (Android) :
(1) I did not want it to upload ALL the pictures currently on my phone when I installed it. I just want it to auto-save NEW pictures that I take with the camera. It can't do that. It seems to be all or nothing. So I have to manually upload each new picture taken. The auto-upload concept is key, but if I can't turn off uploading ALL pre-existing photos, I'm not going to use it. Is this Amazon's way to get us to use more storage - ha ha!

(2) to view existing Device pictures on the phone was terribly slow. I store several large albums and it was painful to load them and slide through them. (Here I am comparing to the speed of QuickPic app). As an example, I have one album with about 100 pics and it took a good 30 seconds to load the thumbnail grid view. Should take no more than 2-3 seconds.

(3) Need some viewing options too, like by filename, by date, etc. Also, need a slideshow option with customizable # of seconds.

(4) the documentation says you can take pictures right from the app. I am not particularly interested in that, but I couldn't find such an option.

(5) I would have liked to create a folder in my Cloud Drive such as "Camera Uploads" and tell the app to put uploads to that location, but there was no such option. Uploaded pics land in Pictures\my-phones-name\100MEDIA (which was automatically created).

(6) I did like the grid viewing of albums. Good thumbnail size (dropbox's is too tiny to be useful).

(7) No de-select or select-all of pictures. That's a must-have.

(8) No ability to "share" a pic to standard list of all share-able objects. The only per-picture options are delete or upload/download.

(9) While in the middle of viewing an album for this review, I hit my phone's back-arrow to exit the app and phone did a soft restart. :-(

Desktop app issues (Windows 7):

(1) I could not set the Download folder as desired. I set it to W:\AmazonCloudDrive folder, but downloads still occurred in PC's default Download location (just like any web file download).

(2) I expected automatic synchronization with contents of my Cloud Drive and my E:\AmazonCloudDrive, folder, but nothing happening. Maybe related to problem in #1 above.

(3) Without #2, I at least expected to right click on any jpg file in windows explorer and get a context menu item to Upload to Amazon Cloud Drive. No such thing.

(4) Without #2 and #3, I'm not sure what the point is for the desktop app. It just seems to be a few shortcuts that don't do much. I can upload files from the cloud drive website without this desktop app. drag and drop not such a big deal, if that's the main purpose.

Kindle Fire: I didn't bother trying this out at this time.

Cloud Drive:
I already had the drive set up, but have not yet had much reason to use it so far.

Just a small comment... it would be nice if the FAVICON was a cloud icon like the one in the System Tray. Seeing the standard Amazon favicon doesn't differentiate it from other Amazon tabs I may have open.

Conclusion: These apps are not for me, but I can see it would be helpful for someone who is vested in Amazon Cloud Drive storage already. If Amazon adds more dropbox-like features in the future, I would reconsider.

[Add comment]