Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on April 20, 2005
When I was a kid, "Combat" was my first favorite show. I wanted to be just like Sergeant Saunders (Vic Morrow) and when the kids in the neighborhood played "Army," I was always his character with my trusty Thompson in hand (I still have a thing about those Thompson guns-but that's another story).

Now, after all these years, I can relive some of that old excitement. I just finished watching this first set and I cannot believe how good my taste was even as a kid. Then I liked the action and adventure. Now, well I still like that stuff, but I am even more impressed by the characters, the writing and the whole craft of the production. I cannot believe how good this series really was. Big name actors clamored to be guests, big name directors, such as Robert Altman, were involved. This is good television, even after 40 something years.

What makes these stories work is that they are some much more than action and adventure. They are really little morality plays, where each man or woman wrestles with their humanity and moral choices in the face of the crisis of war.

I even appreciated the much slower pace of the episodes. There was time, in those days, to work on things like plot, character development and the craft of storytelling. The characters and multileveled, they develop as the series progresses, and they have, for the most part, great writing with which to work. This beats almost anything on television today. If you remember this series as a younger person, or if your have only heard about it from your parents, I think you like it. I can't wait to get the next set
0Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.