Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on February 4, 2010
When I saw this book, I thought "Oh, boy...another book about feeding my baby. What can this add to my knowledge?" I was also kind of suspicious that it was produced by a baby food company, Happy Baby Food, which I thought could only be self serving. Then I noticed that the book was co-written by Dr. Robert Sears, who wrote or co-wrote a whole series of baby books that I really like and trust, most especially, The Baby Book, which was my bible for the first months of my son's life.
So, based on my trust of Dr. Sears, I gave this book a chance and I was pleasantly surprised! The emphasis is on the importance of whole, fresh, organic foods from the very beginning of eating (no earlier than 6 months old) with focus on the value of DHA in the diet to promote healthy brain development. It has helpful hints for feeding picky eaters and promoting a taste for a wide variety of foods. There are also great recipes for tasty sounding things that I had never thought of before. I also liked the discussion of probiotics in baby food and wished that I had known more about the benefits of those as i was starting to feed my son.
Of course, there are product tie-ins to the Happy Baby Brand Foods, but they aren't at all obnoxious, as I had feared. In fact, I became kind of curious and sought out some of their products. I liked how the frozen pureed foods for babies came in three distinct stages, just as discussed in the book, and that they were pretty much unadulterated organic fruits, vegetables, and grains. I can see how the foods might make meal time easier for a busy mom like me who wants to make all her own food, but can't always afford the time.
Anyway, I found the book to be valuable, all in all, with a lot of clear and helpful information, thanks to Dr. Sears and his competent co-author, Amy Marlow, who is a a Registered Dietician. I'm glad that I added it to my library and will probably recommend it to all my health conscious (and health oblivious... they need it most of all!) mommy friends.
0Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.