Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars Great solid tv with NO input lag for gaming or computers, September 19, 2012
This review is from: TCL L40FHDP60 40-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV with 2 Year Limited Warranty (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Just like the title says, there is virtually no input lag on this tv. I went from a tube tv in the bedroom (tube tv's having no input lag whatsoever just straight monitor) to this, and it's practically identical feeling only it's 1080p and it looks great! The game I tested it on is Modern Warfare 3 on my PS3 (the ultimate lag testing game-I can't think of anything faster paced) and I tested it with Halo Reach on my Xbox 360 when I first got it this afternoon to make sure it worked and it did great on that too. There was another review that mentioned he had tested it on a couple games and it didn't seem to have input lag, but he didn't mention WHAT games so I was still unsure as you wouldn't really notice as sharply on most games. I took a chance and I am here to tell you that I felt in control and no lag the whole time- super pleased! Got straight on here to let you guys know because I saw a few people asking about it in the comments on other reviews and its a major concern especially if that's the bulk of what you're going to be doing with it:)

I've had the input lag problem with several tv's including my Toshiba 46" 1080P 240hz in the living room that doesn't feel right totally. It even has game mode which basically cancels extra processing and speeds up the image response like .33hz or something to combat input lag. I believe the fact that this TCL TV is 60hz is a contributing factor to it's lack of input lag. No overprocessing which you don't need with a good hdmi signal from the source anyway, just a good solid 1080p responsive picture. Don't get me wrong, this tv has bells and whistles too, but I think the Toshibas problem (only concerning input lag) is the 240hz and the other processing it does to put out an amazing picture- takes more time to think. When I pan my character's view around in a game it's very hard to stop where I want to consistantly. It even feels like it speeds up as you swing around (like the processor's catching up which is typical of tvs with input lag) making it almost impossible to zero in on a specific spot or opponent accurately at least before they get you:) It does totally fine on most games, but split second timing reflexive games I really notice it.

For those of you that don't know what input lag is, it's a processing delay in displaying the image from the source (when you move it should move steadily and consistantly) that is really only noticeable when gaming (or using the tv as a monitor for your computer-you'll find controlling your mouse much more difficult etc...) because you are actually controlling the image and know when you told it to do what. It doesn't affect viewing movies or anything of that nature because it could have a 5 SECOND delay on when it displays the movie and we'd never know it. It's only a matter of milliseconds, but completely changes the feel of controlling your character especially in fast paced precision movement type games. The image you see is not accurately reporting what you're hands are telling it to do and it makes it very difficult to play (or at least a very akward and sluggish feeling).

On the other aspects: this tv is very vibrant with good color contrast, viewing angles seem to be great, I'm not noticing a bunch of motion blur, and it's a very similar looking picture to my much more expensive tv. I've been looking for a bdrm tv for a while waiting for a good deal and this is BY FAR the best deal I've seen. I would've been happy with 720p at this price. I didn't want to spend too much and was origionally looking at 32" 720p tv's that were around $300, so when this popped up on the screen with 4 1/2 stars from so many customers I was definately interested and started reading reviews.

There seems to be a common problem with this TV showing up DOA or with other malfunctions that definately made me nervous. It had me thinking maybe the components inside aren't secured well enough and/or breaking from shipping jostling or some other OEM defect so even if it arrives fine, it could quit working after moving or something. After looking at it though, and putting it thru some initial paces and comparing to the pic on my other tv, I don't think that this will happen. It seems like a pretty solid unit. It could have been a bad batch or being thrown around by the delivery people or anything really, though it doesnt instill a lot of confidence. After seeing it and having all of my requirements completely met and surpassed, I would say that if you get a bad one take advantage of Amazon's awesome return policy and have 'em send you another because I believe you won't be disappointed. If something goes wrong down the road there's a 2 year warranty so there's not much to worry about (although some are saying the OEM's customer service isn't great)- you'll still be able to get it taken care of eventually. A warranty's a warranty. Just come back and tell people what happened on here- that seems to get their attention as one review I read seemed to infer.

I just got it this afternoon so I'll update if anything of note happens, but as it stands you can't beat the price and the quality seems to be there too! Great product so far, and an unbeatable price on a 40" 1080p tv!

UPDATE 2/2/2012: It's been a week, absolutely no problems, good solid operation. I popped back on to say that I too checked the back of the display panel through the vent holes and it DOES say SAMSUNG on it which doesn't suprise me considering the great picture. I notice motion blur a little watching streaming vids now, but you have to be looking for it and it's to be expected with a 60hz refresh rate. Don't notice it gaming though. Still a great product for the money. Oh, and the buttons on the remote stick for a sec after being pushed...kinda weird but it's gotten better already.

UPDATE 4/21/2012: Still going strong after 3 months! I havent noticed it lately, but I did notice it making ticking noises as it cooled down after shutting it off. It sounded like a baseboard heater popping and cracking (not near as loud but you get the idea). I don't think it's done that for a month or so now. It was probably just "settling in" but I was a little concerned about that for a while. Overall the picture is still great- it's darker overall than my other one- not as much contrast in the blacks but that's to be expected. Hey, it's a $300 tv, but at least it has a Samsung screen! Gaming is still as good as ever- perfect control.

UPDATE 9/19/2012: I love this tv. It's still doing just fine and I tend to watch more of this one than my living room tv so LOTS of hours on it now. It's still got the ticking sometimes for a bit when I turn it off as it cools down, but it's still great other than that. I noticed the price went up $100 tho since I purchased it which puts it in competition with some other decent brands- not the smokin deal that it was. I can say that I've had a good experience with it tho and the warranty's pretty cool so best of luck with your tv hunting:)
AMMENDMENT: I just saw that there is another prime option for this tv that is $360 so that's only $30 more than I paid and is still well worth it:)

UPDATE 12/31/2012: I have now moved my XBOX 360 in to the bdrm with the PS3 because I can't even game anymore on my Toshiba. Don't get me wrong, Toshiba's game mode makes it much better, but there's still no comparison- this tv has dang near 0 input lag. Other than that, picture looks great and haven't had any other issues at all. I recently played on a Samsung 50" 3d lcd and it had VERY noticeable lag as well- This was the best purchase I made the whole year:)

[Add comment]