Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 9, 2006
Unforunately, I was not born when Sam Cooke graced the earth with his presence and voice, but I have had the priveledge of hearing that voice, preserved forever on vinyl. I remember hearing "Cupid" as a kid and never really paying attention to it and I remember being told by elders that Sam Cooke was 'grown folks music." So it wasn't until I had experienced some love, heartache, joy and pain that I listened to Sam Cooke again @ the age of 34 and really understood what he was talking about. I had to know everything about him and asked older family members and read various stories about him (some urban legend, some true) and decided to search on my own. I appreciate this novel because it was written by a family member, but the information wasn't sugar coated. He was a man who made some mistakes, sang about what he saw, and fought for equality in a world that didn't fully understand or appreciate his talents.

This novel raises legitimate questions about Mr. Cooke's death that I believe ought to be looked at and it saddened me that the details of his death have just been overlooked. Like Dorothy Dandridge, he star burned so bright for such a short time and his departure was tragic. Clearly the world, especially his family, still miss him.
20 helpful votes