Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars So so at best...in spite of all her friends 5 star reviews, March 5, 2012
This review is from: The Darlings: A Novel (Hardcover)
When I buy books that I am unsure I really want to spend the money on I generally read the reviews as they seem ,at least for my reading needs, to be a pretty good indicator of value. I did that when I bought this book. I think it had only 5 star reviews at the time of purchase & there were 5 or so of these reviews. I purchased it that night. I enjoyed the 1st half of the book-all it really was was the Bernie Madoff story, with another family playing the Madoffs, revisited...but I thought it was a pretty good read. The second half, at least for me, was somewhat tedious. When I finished I went back to the rave reviews to see what other books these 5 star reviewers had reviewed...& SURPRISE, SURPRISE, they all had reviewed no other book than this one. Its nice to have good friends to jump start a writing career, but to me it now means that it might better, when looking for a book, to take that one more step & see what else the reviewer has reviewed. This is what happens with ebooks...3 or so better than great reviews from friends with no other reviews. Nothing wrong with that but it really makes the term "buyer beware" have some real meaning.

What I would say to someone deciding whether to purchase this book would be to go to their library or wait til the paperback comes out as I don't think its worth the $15 it cost on Amazon.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2012, 2:36:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2012, 2:37:06 PM PDT
thirteen says:
Try the novel "fear Index"............

Bet you will be happier................

Posted on Apr 30, 2012, 1:02:46 PM PDT
Lynne Hersh says:
Look for reviews written by "Vine" reviewers. These folks regularly review, sometimes they get an advanced copy but I find that does not skew the review. This will make sure you are not reading reviews by friends and family.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012, 7:14:32 AM PDT
mardona says:
. It is apparently so hard to get published these days. However, fashionable Subject matter trumps really boring writing and an upper east side title apparently. Thing is you simply can not go on and on discribing the most boring details when one sentence will suffice. Thank god amazon has a generous return policy

Posted on Jul 24, 2012, 7:29:30 PM PDT
little lamb says:
I was falsely lead by the initial first comments and thought the book worth a fun read. I figured it was well written, given the author's credentials. I was stunned to see how poor and ordinary the writing was. And talk about boring; this books feel like a newspaper story that just went on too long. It takes forever for anything to develop and then drags on. Nothing original; no exciting twists and turns. I can't but help agreeing with another reviewer that the author had a many friends post favorable reviews, because if there were more honest reviews, this book is really a two and a half star book.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012, 7:51:33 PM PDT
Welcome to Amazon. I still buy books here but try not to buy much else. Even eBay is 10 times safer these days. Consider this..with Amazon: 1. You don't need to purchase a product to review it, 2. ANYONE can sell..look for the super fine print..you might not be getting an item filled by Amazon but by a fly-by-night company run out of a house with no money-back policy, 3. ANYONE can review...and they do. Especially on things like weight loss products or purses, etc. 4. Vendors are not subject to a real reputation system. Like with the products you buy, the vendors selling them can be reviewed by anyone, whether they are a real customer or not. I would not mind Amazon letting everyone in to sell here if they had a real reputation system like eBay and if they were upfront about it. Everyone hates that first time you get a lesson and find out the product you naively thought you were buying from Amazon was really bought from a scam artist. .....and don't get me started on the number of counterfeit goods sold here. ADVICE: Try to browse the book first. Trust Vine reviews and reviews marked "verified amazon purchase" Trust nothing else.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013, 10:53:29 AM PST
Catherine, I understand that amazon would like reviewers to have purchased a book before reviewing it but I don't see why someone who has taken the book out of a library should be precluded from writing a review, positive or negative. Does spending money to buy a book endow readers with more-than-ordinary critical faculties? I don't think so.

Any system is only as good as the users and the smart amazon reader will do as Mr. Geary (and I) do - check to see if the effusive review or pattern of reviews can be detected. A single review is inherently suspicious.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013, 12:08:32 AM PDT
I got the book at the library and I really enjoyed it. To be candid, I find your comments mean spirited. There is so much work and years involved in writing a book, so I think 15 dollars is not a lot, if you have that money. The price of a good bottle of wine, or a glass of wine if you go out in New York. I think people are getting spoiled by all the 'amazon' deals and tend to under appreciate the work involved in the books they buy. I think The Darling is worth reading and I recommended it to all my friends.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013, 2:31:06 AM PDT
Then why didn't you buy it instead of getting it for free in the library. This is absolutely nothing you said that is worth commenting on. Did you actually read what you said?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013, 6:34:15 PM PDT
Because I am leaving the city soon and I want to travel light. Always assuming the worst, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013, 6:46:13 PM PDT