Reviewed in the United States on March 9, 2020
Before I dive into the bizarre nature of this book, I wanted to say that I was intrigued by the topic when I saw it at my favorite book review site because I've always considered myself to be someone who had a “salt” tooth rather than a sweet tooth. I've enjoyed a variety of natural and refined salts over the course of my life and was curious to see what this author had to say.

This book is certainly an odd combination of parts. While I wouldn't necessarily call it “everything you need to know about salt,” it does have information ranging from types of salt to the requirements of sodium in our bodies to salt therapies. It even has a section about using a more environmentally friendly salt chlorinator for your pool. The book includes a handful of recipes, culinary and bath. I am a registered nurse, and some concepts presented in the chapter about why a body needs salt and how it uses it was factually incorrect or overly simplified. The body’s use and regulation of sodium are far more complex than the author lets on; we actually had to learn quite a bit about sodium in nursing school and its prereqs! So take those sections with, if you'll pardon the pun, a grain of salt.

The author also sometimes contradicts herself throughout the book. For instance, in one section, she discusses the dangers of replacing iodized salt with sea salt, but then mentions doing precisely that later in the book. There was a rather bizarre and somewhat extended section of the book about Christianity and salt. Frankly, this connection is tenuous at best and clearly showed the author’s somewhat strident biases in a way wholly inappropriate for a nonfiction book of this nature.

There was other bizarreness about the book. I did receive an ARC copy, and when I opened the MOBI in my Kindle app, it said that the title of the book was Ketosis Diet with the author David D’Angelo—not anything to do with salt or Ms. Pelland. There is a single section called Simon’s tips; there is no other mention of a Simon anywhere, so I do not know how he relates. Later in the book, the author made a reference as if she were male instead of female. All these oddities suggest to me that it is a book cobbled together by a content mill that hopes to sell this book for a decent profit, though this isn't a particularly hot trending concept.

There are definitely also issues with grammar, punctuation, and usage. Some sentences made no sense whatsoever, and others were extremely awkward. Capitalization and plurals were occasionally problematic, especially when referring to places in the world where salt often comes from. There are only a few recipes, but the directions for at least one of them were so bizarre and poorly written that I cannot imagine someone would be able to make the recipe (or even visualize how to do it). By the way, the few culinary recipes seem to have an Indian basis, requiring a fair number of unusual ingredients and spices (unusual to Americans and Europeans).

This book has enough issues that I do not feel like I could recommend it on any level. Despite my love of the topic.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink