Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on October 23, 2005
This is a funny book. I laughed aloud several times, and partly because I saw myself in these quirky habits Anderson attributes to German Americans.

I believe I do have some German heritage, but I'm not sure. I haven't done a genealogical study.

But I'm a Californian, where all German ancestry, if it ever existed, is amalgamated (pureed) with every other ethnicity.

Mr. Anderson (the author), on the other hand, is from New Ulm, Minnesota, a strange place I've never been to. His grandmother was from Germany, as he reports in the appendix.

One chapter is entitled, "Don't Throw That Away": Economy at any Length. Anderson writes: "German/Americans believe in the saving ethic...we save things so we can suffer."

There's a funny chapter on Catholics and Lutherans "meeting head on."

How about this one: "100 Years of Rectitude: Propriety as a Chief Virtue"?

Or the chapter on German language, "Sprechen sie? American damage to the mother tongue."

He writes: "German Americans don't think of German as a foreign language. They think of it as a guilt trip."

Anderson has sojourned in Germany, and his description of his attempts to use German, or to revert to English instead, are hilarious.

How about the section, "Hoarding and Counting as a Hobby." I saw myself here: I hoard books, although I haven't counted them yet (my wife has, and guess what...there's too many books!).

You will get a big kick out of this book, and you will appreciate Germans and German Americans more than if you had not read this funny book. Americans think of Germans, today, as Nazis and former Nazis. There's another side to Germans, and you find it here.

Diximus.
11 comment| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.