Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon February 27, 2012
Many of the poems in this book touched my heart! Even though poet Kimberly LaRocca is from an entirely different culture, we are sisters. I felt her pain, her hopelessness, her joy...and her ultimate hope! I sense she is a powerful woman who's had it tough coming into her own... But she's doing it!

Though most of the poems are about bittersweet love, others about fulfilled love and many about other life situations, one thing they have in common: They're all lyrical and sincere, giving us a true glimpse into the heart of this beautiful, soulful woman.

The title, A Black Girl's Poetry for the World, is a perfect title and the cover is one of the most aesthetic I've ever seen.

I haven't read all the poems yet because I believe poetry should be savored slowly, like fine food; poetry is food for the soul. I glanced through each title, though, to get a feel for the entire book and found there's something for everyone in this little gem. I know I'm going to learn more life lessons as I read and ponder each poem separately. In addition to releasing her deep feelings and emotions, I believe that's how the author intends for her readers to relish this book.

My favorite so far is: A POET'S SONG. I like this one because I know a number of poets and they're just like LaRocca describes:

I live in verse.
I think in rhyme,
Thinking, rhyming
All the time.
The sadness that you may see,
Is all poetry to me.
The happiness you're feeling now
Turns into rhyme for me somehow.
I don't know how
Or even why.
It sings to me from deep inside.
And it makes up
The best of me,
Living, breathing poetry.

I think writers are like that too; only we think in words and story ideas...but always, always thinking. :-)

Author C.C. Cole summed it up perfectly in her review: "...large messages delivered by so few, easy-to-read lines and minimizing of cliches." (Thanks for letting me repeat your lines, C.C. Cole.)

I recommend this book for women AND men because there's no better way for them to understand women than by reading this all-too-rare glimpse into a woman's soul and learning what their women want and need. LaRocca is not shy about speaking the unvarnished truth; a truth that will benefit all, if we allow it.

Review by Betty Dravis, February 27, 2012
Author of award-winning "1106 Grand Boulevard"
44 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?