Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, March 18, 2011
This review is from: Geothermal HVAC (Hardcover)
Note: make sure to read the comments to my review which confirm my review.

I am a homeowner building a new home that will have a geothermal hvac system. I was excited to see a whole book dedicated to geothermal, and figured it would supplement my knowledge and give me some detailed information I am lacking.

This book was such a disappointment that I am returning it,especially because it is expensive. I found myself frustrated at every turn, as the author mentions something important and then goes on to say, consult your geothermal engineer, or that is why you need a good installer, or it all depends, but giving no actual information. By the way, if he is so insistent that we hire a geothermal engineer, perhaps he should give info on where to find one, how much they charge, how they are educated etc. He just mentions it like everyone is doing that when in reality, very few residential projects have a geothermal engineer consulted.

The author tells you at the outset that most systems are installed incorrectly yet gives minimal information on how to avoid an incorrect installation and what to look out for.

The author likes to tell stories about his family and his childhood, which would not have bothered me, except in this case it does bother me because we are buying this book for real information which this book is lacking.

The author seems to have an agenda, to promote geothermal and his own business. We should not be expected to pay for his advertising goals. I have literally read hundreds of books on building a home, as I will be acting as my own contractor, and have enough experience to know when someone is leaving out useful information on purpose.

The book is geared to the regular homeowner, who wants to feel like they understand a little, but at the end of the day, will let the hvac contractor decide everything.

I was shocked to not see any mention of a flow center, which is where the ground loops get tied together and distributed. This is a newer system than pump paks. Unfortunately, I do not know much about these terms, and thought this book would at least mention them and explain the benefits of each.

We are also planning to use the heat pumps to heat hot water and there is no detail at all on how to set up the tanks, or what things to take into consideration.

I would have expected to also see a comparison of grouting material choices for the vertical loops, information about whether to manifold inside or outside the home etc.

Save your money, and your time, not worth the expense.

PS added on 3/21

By the way, 2 of the reviewers, have the last name Egg, same as author, coincidental? How many others might be related without us knowing and passing off bogus reviews?

If you think the author is not self promoting here is a quote from page 143: "My sales managers and CFO regularly chastise me for under quoting". It is sad that he sees the readers of his book as so gullible as to believe that comment. In the same paragraph the author tells us that ClimateMaster has spent millions of dollars in getting legislation passed (for the Federal Tax credit I presume) out of a passion for the technology, and that the president of ClimateMaster would give away the equipment if they could. I don't think ClimateMaster is a non-profit. The author also mentions that his co spent $823,000 on advertising in one year. Why this is relevant I do not know, but it certainly corroborates that this book is all about getting more business. How much is he overcharging customers to get back his almost a million dollars in advertising? Why can't he get enough business through referrals if he is so good? Lastly, the author mentions his religious values and dedication throughout the book. How is that relevant to HVAC? Or is it just a ploy to make the reader think he is "an honest, decent, and god fearing person who would never cheat you? Make no mistake, the author is treating you as a sales target, do not fall for it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2011 4:30:08 AM PDT
Are we reading the same book? Geothermal HVAC from McGraw-Hill? After reading the book, I contacted the author's firm and they referred me to a company that put in a geothermal system that is the most advanced system of which I've ever conceived. It seems to me that you (SaraYale?) are either fishing for a reaction, or you just wrote a nasty review before picking up the phone. Either way, just pick up the phone or email and by my experience...they'll be able to help you out, no matter where you in the world you resideGeothermal HVAC...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 4:39:21 AM PDT
sarayale says:
Just a coincidence that your last name is Egg? Any relation to the author?

Why should I pick up the phone. I bought a book for information, not a referral. I am not looking for "help". Your comment does not even address my criticism, which is that the book does not give detailed information. I did not address whether geothermal is advanced or not, and I am putting a system in my house, so obviously I have nothing against the technology.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 8:52:29 PM PDT

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 4:29:21 PM PDT
I loved the book, but then again I read it as a book about Geothermal and wasn't looking for a reason to attack aomeone. Positive thoughts and actions are so much better to display then negativity. I hope that you find a book that will help you as you build the home that you commented about. Good luck!

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 8:30:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2012 9:28:05 AM PDT
Hans says:
Wow! do you have his number. Unfortiunatly he got me big times. His buisness is closed. He has left town owing empoyees and contractors and jobs not completed.
GEO THERMAL HVAC is a great thing to install and works very well, BUT YOU MUST HAVE AN HONEST GREAT CONTRACTOR THAT UNERSTANDS WHAT HE IS DOING. If I was to building a new house today I would definatly install a Geo Thermal HVAC System. It is very compact. Do some shoping before you committ. MAKE SURE THE REFERENCES ARE NOT FAMILY MEMBERS AS YOU HAVE NOTICED.
THE COST DIFFERENCE SHOULD ONLY BE ABOUT 25% DEPENDING ON CICUMSTANCES.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 10:59:16 AM PST
sarayale says:
So sorry to hear you had trouble. It is sickening how some people want to make a living by stealing and causing financial loss and grief to others. I appreciate your letting me know my intuition was right this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 1:49:47 PM PST
Eddie says:
I tried the phone# above for the author/business but it did not go through.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 9:22:41 AM PDT
Hans says:
I have several lawsuits against him. He is out of buisness and running from creditors.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 1:34:36 PM PDT
I am extremely shocked at your negative comments...I fear that you may have some hidden agenda. I am wondering if, because this book was not exactly what you wanted, why you would put the effort into bashing this book. You yourself state that, "The book is geared to the regular homeowner, who wants to feel like they understand a little, but at the end of the day, will let the hvac contractor decide everything". The majority of people who want HVAC for a home are not "engineer minded" or acting as their own contractor. You may have wanted a book that will "teach" you how to mine for gold but the fact is that most of us want education and then make a decision based on that education and then go out and hire the people needed to perform that job. I for one am a nurse and completely unable to perform this work on my own. I will use this as an educational tool and well written foundation to make my choices. If I hadn't seen your rude comment I may never have purchased this book. It is what made my decision. Thanks and god bless you and your family. Life is to short to hurt and bash others.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 8:08:57 PM PST
I've not read the book, but Joan and I did buy and install a geothermal system more than 25 years ago. We did all of the installation, but hired a contractor to put in a replacement unit when the first one failed after a normal life span. Geothermal can be good, but it is not necessarily a best choice for all. If you have ample water or a buried circulating system, and low or reasonable electricity rates, it may be a good choice. It has been a good choice for us, and also preheats hot water that a conventional electric hot water heater then brings up to our desired hot temperature. The geothermal units that we've used, seen, and read about appear quite rudimentary, but perhaps more advanced units are being developed.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›