Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on August 15, 2013
INTRODUCTION:

I needed an ultra-compact light stand to attach to a backpack for short day-hikes. I wanted to shoot some pictures and have the option to use a speedlight off-camera. So I grabbed this little guy. The compact size when it's folded down is perfect, and it's lightweight and sturdy enough. But with some drawbacks. To the nitty-gritty:

PROS & CONS:

PROS: Tiny. Like, ridiculously small. It comes with drawbacks, but that's the biggest selling point for this thing. It has two mounts, which I question the usability or significance of (more on that later). It's decently well made for the price and weighs next to nothing.

CONS: This one is 100% my fault, but this thing is much shorter than I expected when fully opened. Doesn't even come to my chest when fully opened. Due to its compact size, the legs are tiny, offering weak stability - basically, expect this thing to tip over easily if bumped into. Also, I really don't see the use of the second mounting point on the leg. It has to be removed to fold the stand, and I guess I just don't get it. If you need a light a few inches from the ground, this thing can do it. I've yet to need it. Build quality is good for the money, but far from great - a lot of plastic, and you can't easily tighten the clamps to further secure it.

SUMMARY:

I like it, for what it is, but I wish I had read the measurements more closely. I fixated on getting something packable, assuming it would be at least tall enough for my purposes. Not so. At some point, I'll invest in a Manfrotto 5001B 74-Inch Nano Stand Replaces Manfrotto 001B - Black, as that is more what I wanted. My mistake.

If the height isn't an issue for you, this thing is a no-brainer - you get more than you pay for... just be sure to sandbag it well ;)
11 comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?