Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Above and Beyond Expectations, November 21, 2011
This review is from: The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (Special Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Being a huge fan of the books and a pretty big fan of the movies, I was blown away at what a great job they did with this movie installment. I loved the visual and audio parallels they drew between the original movie, Twilight, and this movie. For instance (Spoiler Alerts throughout): I loved how they played Flightless Bird during the wedding ceremony and the way the camera circled them kissing in the same manner the camera circled E & B kissing at Prom at the very end of Twilight. It was a subtle, yet stunning way to visually tie the two movies together and really made more of an emotional impact than if they had just shot them straight on and plugged in a different song. That was genius. And that dress...gorgeous. Just as it was described in the book.

I also loved that rather than having one continuous honeymoon "consummation" scene, they broke it up with Bella thinking about certain moments the next morning after looking in the mirror for the first time, where she's no longer a virgin. It was all done so tastefully. The way one's first time should be at that age. Not at some house party or in the back of some guy's car. For those who read the books and knew how Edward did everything he could to exhaust Bella with activities on their honeymoon so she'd be too tired to "try again", you have to admit that Bill Condon did such a great job showing you visually all the things they were doing without either character having to come out and say, I'm/you're trying to exhaust you/me. And it was adorable with KS put on her little nightgown and leaned against the wall...I got married when I was 19 and I felt the exact same way when I put on lingerie for the first time and dreaded walking into the bedroom with my little gown on. I felt like a child playing dress-up, much like it came off Bella felt.

I was also very impressed by the manner with which Bill Condon allowed us to see through the eyes of Jacob for the first time and hear what he hears with regard to the internal dialog between him and the pack. That scene where the wolves were running to the lumber yard and their voices echoed in Jacob's mind...that was so perfectly done. AND, I loved loved loved the way the Sam and Jacob had their battle for alpha. It was as if you, the person watching the movie, was in the mind of a wolf who is being forced into submission by it's Alpha. The CGI team did a great job because I forgot I was watching computer generated wolves and the intensity of the scene felt like I was there witnessing the true dynamic of a wolf pack.

I thought the birth scene was beyond intense. The scene almost mirroring that as it's written in the book. I think they showed just the right amount of Bella's internal agony during her transformation. For those of us who read the books, to say she had a prolonged bout of suffering during her transformation would be an understatement. However, if they had shown more of that in the movie, it would have taken from the torture that Edward was going through thinking he had lost Bella, and Jacob's malevolence towards Renesmee prior to imprinting on her. That whole scene allowed for each character's state of mind to be both seen, visually, and felt, emotionally. Powerfully shot and brilliantly executed.

I imagine the imprinting scene was a difficult one to translate from paper to screen. They did a great job in this as well. Not in any way cheesy, but sweet and breathless...if that makes any sense. The only thing I did not love about it was that the girl/teenager Jacob sees as an older Renesmee appeared to be CGI. They used an actual young girl to play the younger Renesmee, why not use a real person for the older Renesmee too? I'm sure Hollywood has a few young actresses that would have auditioned for the part???

I loved the fight between the wolves and the Cullens at the very end of the movie. In the books, you go from Jacob's perspective where he witnesses Bella's death and then walks into the living room to kill Renesmee, only to imprint on her. And then you go immediately back to Bella's perspective where she's riving in pain while she's transforming into a vampire. I feel Melissa Rosenburg had a stroke of brilliance when she decided to add this scene so that the audience could see what could have happened in the books, but did happen in the movie, during the time period between Jacob imprinting on Renesmee and Bella awakening for the first time as a vampire. Another unexpected and totally welcomed brilliant surprise of this movie.

Another welcome surprise for me was while Bella was at the very end of her transformation. I thought it was a touching visual moment that just before her heart beat for the very last time, we witnessed Bella's memories in a somewhat reverse chronological order, ending with her very first human memory as a baby in the arms of her parents bouncing her in front of a mirror.

But what was not a surprise and what I've been telling my fellow twi-hards the past couple years is the very last scene of the movie. Once I heard they were splitting BD into two parts, I've always maintained there's only one way to end part 1 with truly visual impact...and that is to witness Bella's subtle transformation from a broken human to a perfect vampire, surrounded by the Cullens, with the scene closing in on Bella's perfect facial features, zooming into her perfectly shut eyes...that suddenly open the most gorgeous crimson red....and straight to credits. I actually gave myself a little pat on the back for that one because so much of the movie exceeded my expectations of visual and audio creativity, and yet the last scene ending a certain way was something I was very adamant with my friends about, and sure enough that's how it ends. So maybe now I can revel in having an ounce of the vision that Bill Condon and Melissa Rosenburg possess...hey I'll take that ounce.

Aside from the standout scenes I've mentioned herein, I thought Kristen Stewart did her best portrayal of Bella yet. Her facial expressions alone are so real to each moment they're almost tangible. I've enjoyed the work KS has done prior to the Twilight Saga, and I am so glad these movies have launched her career because I am certain she will be one of the great leading ladies of acting for many decades to come. So to all Twi-hards out there. This movie was amazing. A must see for those who loved the books and fans of the previous movies. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD so that I can add it to my Twilight Saga collection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012, 12:24:05 AM PST
I just wanted to say i loved your review. You captured everything perfectly.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012, 7:21:36 PM PST
I must agree. Everything you said was exactly as I thought in my head too. I also knew how the ending would be, told everyone how awesome/perfect it'd be, and literally jumped for joy in the theater when it happened. Great review! :D

Posted on Jan 11, 2012, 12:41:38 AM PST

Posted on Jan 18, 2012, 5:55:48 PM PST
Your review was very well put! And i also predicted the ending....lol i kept telling everyone "I bet it's gonna end exactly how Avatar ended!" And what do you know, Bella opens her new crimson peepers! OMG the anticipation is killing me!! Bring on part 2!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2012, 6:59:55 PM PST
Excellent commentary! I was a bit disappointed in the movie myself. The dream scene was nothing but to add a bit of horror to the picture.
But, nonetheless, it won't keeping me from purchasing it the first chance I get!
Only one comment, Bella's eyes opening wasn't the last scene of the movie. After the Pirate's series I've learned to stick it out during the credits. As much as you hate the Volturi (sp?), you gotta love them at the same time. Imagine how bored you would become after 100-200 years... I love how they portray that in their emotions during the movie :) Great comments though!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012, 11:41:58 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2012, 11:48:36 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012, 11:43:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2012, 11:48:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012, 11:44:13 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2012, 11:48:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012, 11:46:45 PM PST
lilnhavoc says:
totally right...the volturi was technically the last scene. i guess the dream scene was a bit cheesy. glad it was bella and edward on a mound of mangled bodies and not a little toddler, like it was in the book. that just seems too dark for the movie adaption.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012, 10:17:16 AM PST
Thanks for your review - after seeing the previews I didn't want to go see the movie, especially after seeing the Cullen & wolves fighting scene where was that in the book? I figured they were once again ruining the books. I was very disappionted in the first movie while I did read all of the books and loved the last book yet still wondered if whoever the director was would screw it up once again. Yet, I may go see it now. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›