Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars Compares very well to the Canon 24-70 L, May 2, 2012
This review is from: Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD Canon Mount AFA007C-700 (Model A007E) (Electronics)
Initial impressions:

- on the wide end, it's significantly sharper than a good copy of the 24-70, most clearly so wide open
- on the long end it's a little less sharp wide open, but catches up just a stop later
- focusing speed is a little slower, but we're talking fractions of a second
- the IS/VC is a huge help / image-saver at lower shutter speeds

More testing is required, but this lens will likely become my go-to lens for wedding photography (where receptions are often poorly lit), replacing the Canon 24-70 L

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2012, 8:35:23 PM PDT
Got hybrid says:
Better than 24-70L why only 4 stars?

Posted on May 2, 2012, 11:43:39 PM PDT
Thank you for the review.
I'm also curious why only 4 stars. What did you not like about this lens?
I also shoot weddings and the quality of autofocus is one of the priorities, most of the time even more so than sharpness. Could you please comment on the quality of autofocus after you've taken a few thousand shots? Does it ever miss, freeze or behave in a strange way? How well does it focus in the dark in comparison to the L lenses? Overall is it good enough for professional use? Thanks.

Posted on May 16, 2012, 9:27:24 AM PDT
Cinnamon says:
Thanks for the helpful review! Since I also plan to use this lens for professional event photography, can you please comment a bit about vignetting on a full-frame camera? I plan to use this lens with the Canon 5D Mark II, but am a bit concerned about what I have heard about this lens's vignetting, especially wide open at f/2.8 (for events, I primarily plan to shoot at f/2.8). I know vignetting can be corrected in post, but I'd obviously prefer it if the lens produced decent shots straight out of the camera. I would be purchasing this lens to replace the Canon 24-105L I primarily shoot with, and would love to hear your thoughts on vignetting, especially at 2.8? Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012, 5:37:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2013, 6:55:31 AM PST
Michael C says:
If you select the Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD from the drop down on the right you can compare the two lenses. It appears the Tamron @ f/2.8 vignettes about the same as the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS @ f/4. At f/4, the Tamron has much less light fall off in the corners than the Canon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 5:18:17 AM PST
Acontius says:
If the reviewer has an ef 24-70mm in working order, did he spend $1200 only for the VR? I like having IS on my walk-around ef 24-105mm, but for weddings and night events, the shutter speeds are often too low for it to be useful or I'm using some bounce flash. Still, it would be great in medium light, where my shutter speeds are 1/30 to 1/100.

That said, if something happened to my version 1 ef 24-70mm, this would be VERY tempting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2013, 6:52:19 AM PST
Michael C says:
He can probably sell The EF 24-70mm f/2.8L used for more than the cost of the Tamron SP 24-70mm Di VC USD, so he's not really spending anything.

I have not tried the Tamron 24-70, but my experience with the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras has been very positive and if I were in the market for a 24-70 f/2.8 in the future I would seriously consider this lens. I bought the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras a few weeks before Tamron announced the new 24-70. I'm very happy with the IQ, but am finding there are more situations than I had anticipated where the IS/VC would be helpful. I'm not as good shooting several stops below the 1/focal length rule as I was when I was younger. Tripod mounted, I tend to go with the 24-70 a lot. Handheld I tend to favor the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras. The IS does allow me to shoot slower Tv as long as the subject isn't moving too fast, and the extra reach comes in handy more when in the situations I shoot handheld. The 24-105 also has a reputation for absorbing the inevitable bumps and collisions when moving through a crowd much better, while the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 has several element adjustments inside near the front of the lens that are prone to moving a little when bumped. The unique construction of the hood that attaches to the main body of the lens rather than the zoom barrel does provide protection, but the hood doesn't fit with the lens in my backpack so it gets left in the box of extra stuff in the trunk of my car a lot.

Posted on May 13, 2013, 8:59:35 AM PDT
J. Kelly says:
Thanks very much for the great review!

I'm concerned about focusing speed/accuracy in low light, so I was hoping to get your opinion on that seeing as you've probably logged more hours with it since your original review...

I shoot weddings w/ the 5D mk 3.

Cheers, j