Reviewed in the United States on March 18, 2020
It is not often that I say this, but this is a very unusual Regency. But in a good way! It certainly brought all the feels. Those of us who love the subgenre usually appreciate that the stories are often similar. We love the silly tropes typical to Regency; we love to immerse ourselves in a world so wholly different from our own. I knew from reading the book description that this would be one of those “caught in a cabin” stories. I have read a number of those over the years, but this was one of the more unusual of that ilk. They weren't merely stuck in a cabin. They were fighting for survival after a terrible accident. The author has done a good job showing what was precisely happening for the hero and heroine before the accident. In fact, we got to know the carriage passengers rather well, which made the accident itself an emotional experience. We cared about these characters and wanted them to get to their destination and on to the rest of their lives. The hero and heroine were both greatly injured in the accident, and it took fortitude and hard work on both their parts just to survive. Yes, this is definitely a book where you need a tissue or two as you read along. The time in the cabin is romantic, even while they are trying to survive and mend from their injuries. They certainly learn a lot about each other in this forced time together. When things aren’t looking so good for them in the end, I couldn’t help but want them to figure out how to be together. I found the ending to be satisfying on several levels, and I hope the captain gets his own book because I think he will make a great hero. If you enjoy different Regency romances that pull at the heartstrings, you may very well enjoy this book.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
2 people found this helpful