BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 22, 2010
After reading some of the reviews (professional and otherwise), it's clear that there are some misconceptions about this book. As one of the people interviewed in this book (we are chapter 9), I can say that I'm very happy with what was written there.

What this book isn't, it isn't a "how to" for living off grid, it is not about the technical side of living off the grid, if this is what you are looking for in this book, you will probably be disappointed. There are lots of books on the technical side that will teach you how to live off grid, that's not what you will find between the pages of this book.

What this book is, it's about the people, the different reasons why people are choosing to go off grid, this is the human side of the story. From those who are doing it out of necessity to those choosing to live off grid, from those who are living in relative luxury with all the bells and whistles to those who are doing everything themselves with very little, you will learn about the who and the why of those living off grid.

Yes, Nick does insert his opinions into the book and that's fine, he does have a straightforward writing style, is that a bad thing? I don't think so, when Nick was interviewing us, he dug and dug hard, he didn't accept the first thing we said, he wanted to know more, he is a journalist after all and is used to digging for more information. Some might find his writing style too forward, I found it honest, some might wish the book was more soft soap, if that's what you are looking for, then you probably need to look for another book. If you are looking for an honest, upfront read on the who and the why of people living off the grid, then I would recommend this book for you.

Oh, and we aren't all antisocial, hippie, potheads trying to get around the law by living outside of society, no offense meant toward those folks. :) Many of us are looking for freedom, political as well as personally and financially, most of us just want to be left alone to live our lives as we see fit, not hurting anyone, being independent. Get the book to learn more about the different reasons why more and more people are choosing to leave the mainstream lifestyle with all the consumerism, malls, 2 income households, living on credit cards, paycheck to paycheck, and choosing to live independently with much more freedom, and happiness.

EDITED TO ADD
I just wanted to add that even though I am in this book, I do not receive any financial gain from the sale of this book. I still live 100% off grid and love every minute of it.
55 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?