Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots for travel and general wear, October 25, 2008
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Waterproof Hiking Boot (Apparel)
These have been great boots. I am on my fourth pair of the Altitude series- a version I, version II, and now 2 version IVs. All have been good buys for me. The version IV have been the best but all have been good.

First, I have a high arch and have always been hard on any footwear with a tendency to walk on the 'outside' of my foot. I wear these boots to travel in and work in while traveling. Many a mile in airports, many miles on concrete, gravel, dirt, and inside simulation facilities. When I travel I tend to only take these boots - my work rarely requires dress clothes, the boots look good in an open collar work environment, they are comfortable, and taking only 1 pair of shoes does cuts down on packing requirements quite a bit for longer trips (3 weeks or longer in duration).

I have taken these boots on three overseas trips - they did well in the Scottish highlands (twice), and London. They did equally well on the beaches of Hawaii, Myrtle Beach, and Cancun. They have done me well in wet and sand - hot and cold.

To add to this endorsement, not only am I hard on shoes I am also quite fat these days - topping 300 pounds. For my health I maintain a walking routine of 1-3 miles a day whenever possible. When I travel, these boots are also my walking shoes.

In general Hi Tec have always fit me well. I go back 40 or so years to wearing the Lite series of Hi Tecs while I was in my running the Appalachians days. Given my high arches, a tendency for very bad calluses, rebuilt right ankle, 2 knees that varied doctors have wanted to cut on since early Army days, and now my weight I am very picky on shoes. These are the best of the Hi Tec boot types that I have found.

I suspect I have seen the best of my current set of boots - maybe six more months or so of regular wear till they become yard work shoes till their final demise. I have never worn out the uppers in these boots. I have worn the sole down to a smooth surface and worn out the insides (after using new insole inserts a couple of times). They are tough boots.

And I have a back up pair ready to take the place of the current set.

On a down side, these style of boots (in general, not just Hi Tec) are not sturdy enough for doing squats in Power Lifting circles. One needs a higher and stiffer boot than what the modern ilk of hikers provides. This is the only limitation I have found for these boots.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 10, 2011, 9:25:11 PM PDT
mkultra says:
Excellent review, but who would use a boot for doing squats? You want as little sole as possible; I use Vibram Five Fingers for exercise and running.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2011, 2:15:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2011, 2:17:45 AM PDT
AC says:
Regarding the question as to who would use a boot for doing squats - it would include those who need extra protection at the ankles, which would be a plausible reason why the reviewer would want boots for such (given the mention of a rebuilt right ankle). Another group would be those with posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. There are many others for whom a boot would be desired for doing squats...

Oh, & I meant to say, to the reviewer - great review. Thank you for taking the time to convey all that you did.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011, 12:27:17 PM PDT
hi can you tell me which american size is european 41 because this sizing info is false. Thank you!

Posted on Sep 15, 2011, 12:32:11 PM PDT
hi can you tell me which american number is european 41 because this sizing info is false. I ordered number 9 and I recieved number 42 european, but i need size 42. thank you

Posted on Nov 3, 2011, 4:45:17 PM PDT
Ha! This review has it all and I (without mental reservation or purpose of evasion) thank Lieutenant Fan for it: four pair, high arches, "heavy" use, the AT, the Army, calluses, squats, simulation facilities (!) and the Scottish Highlands!

Wait... I don't see squat thrusts...Well, it has almost everything!

Go get 'em LT Fan! Rooting for you and these shoes!

-- Steve Barton, Dunwoody, Ga

Posted on Jun 20, 2016, 9:13:19 PM PDT
My goodness. You and I must have the same foot genetics!! I hope you're still around and can comment on this.

I've always dismissed Hi-Tec because a) they've been low priced; b) sold serveral places like Oshmans that didn't really have quality hiking footwear and c) their cheezy name. Oh, well. Given your review, I might try this model. What I'd like to know is this: given my high arch (like yours), does the the boot cause discomfort on the arch since arches like ours don't routinely get supported because they are so tall? In other words, I get by in most shoes, but if I find a pair that does come up to my arch, it isn't very comfortable since my arch isn't used to contact with the insole.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›