BCA Month Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on August 5, 2010
Even though I have flatbed scanners and a wand scanner, I decided I needed something faster that the flatbed with less tweaking than the wand scanner (fast and OK for images, iffy for documents). I've been wanting to buy either the S1300 or the S1500 based on the great Amazon reviews, but couldn't decide which.

Pros for the S1300 were:

Support for both Mac and PC (have both)
Portability
Price

Cons were:
10 sheet ADF limit
Slower speed (10 ppm versus 20 ppm for S1500)
Lacks full Adobe Acrobat product

Ultimately I decided to "settle" for the S1300, but I'm very happy.

First, it turns out you can actually put far more than 10 sheets in the ADF. The important thing is that the first few pages feed well. The additional pages will fall into place if you've taken moderate care to stack them neatly. I've scanned documents at least 35 pages long with no trouble.

The "slower" speed hasn't been a problem for me. In the past few days I've already scanned inches worth of documents (7" stack is waiting to be shredded) - I anticipating being entirely paper free at work in a week. Ironically, work finally (after months of waiting) got me set up with a XEROX Workcenter 7346. I think the S1300 is actually faster for me, because I can multi-task while the S1300 chugs at my desk (fwiw, I am using a netbook to ingest the scans while working at my "work" desktop).

While I do love having a complete version of Adobe Acrobat, the software included with the ScanSnap lets you do most stuff that's really important - OCR, rotating pages, deleting pages, etc. I have found it's useful, when scanning a stack of documents, to take a moment after each scan to name the thing (e.g., yymmdd description). Renaming is a snap, just hit F2 and start typing the new name. No need to add the ".pdf" extension, that gets added automatically.

The business card software is nice as well, though I find I have to go through and QA the OCR "guesses." Since I haven't had a business card scanner before, I don't know how this compares.

Lastly, this little unit works great if you have a need to use it on the road. I had two multi-hour flight delays this week. I went ahead and set up the ScanSnap with my netbook and chugged through stacks of paper I'd been dragging around for far too long. So awesome that I could do so without any access to power (though I did find outlets so I wasn't draining my netbook).

Definitely recommend the S1300 for anyone who wants to go paperless!
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?