Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 23, 2012
Not really going to pontificate about how great they look or sound. Can sum it up in one word, outstanding (no exclamation point). The extras, again a thumbs' up. One thing about the extras though, not all the Crystal Skull special features got ported over. So if you got it, save it. If you didn't, get it. if you bought any exclusives you might want to keep them. Got the Best Buy Trilogy with the extra Vintage Featurette disc and the Target book exclusive and learned not to dump any special editions.

Now lets get to the reason this gets four stars and not five. It's really not about these movies in particular, it's about he packaging. The first Blu-ray book style packaging I got was Avatar. It had a nice little tray and you could pull out the disc about half way to grab it. Then came Star Wars, yikes! A semi-tray that I had to stick my finger under the disc and pull it out. Not a fan of this because I don't like to grab the playing surface of the disc. This goes back to the first DVDs and players. Any scratches or fingerprint smudges affected playback. As the lasers got better it wasn't so much an issue but still hate to touch the disc.

This packaging really threw me. not only did I have to pinch the disc to grab it but it really is an effort to pull it out. Can't tell for sure but there is something in the page/sleeve that is retaining the disc. Don't know if it's to keep them from falling out if you happen to hold the book by the spine with the pages down. Equal effort to put them back in. I know Blu-rays are supposed to be tough but, we really don't need to test that with this type of packaging.

I know, I know. You think I'm trying to find something wrong in an otherwise perfect release. Don't get me wrong, I highly recommend this set. Just trying to give the whole picture. If you bought this you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't then I'm giving you a head's up.

As always just speaking as a consumer and fan of the medium. Every day takes us one step closer to finally retiring our VCR's and giving the tapes to charity. Thank you Phillips for pursuing laser video technology.

P.S. When is 1941 going to be on Blu-ray, Steven?
9 helpful votes