Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

1,810 of 2,043 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Beer Replaced By JUICER?????????, January 7, 2009
This review is from: Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor (Kitchen)
OK, there are a million pro juicers here who can tell you all the reasons this type of juicer is best, another million who can tell you why a SLOW juicer like the Champion Brand are best if you want leafy greens juiced. My only experience until this week was with an OLD 15 year old juicer we paid about $70.00 for that took about a grocery CART full of fruits & veggies just to get a 12 oz. glass 1/2 full!

As a result, we used it one time and set it out in the garage until I finally sold it for $20.00 last month. But I saw a Jack La Lane infomercial and came to trusty old Amazon.com to see about trying again since these NEW juicers get more juice (or DO they?). I start reading and see so many more people liking this particular brand over Jacks model so then go to YouTube sniffing around. I take A MONTH DECIDING and bought this juicer from Amazon directly. Used it for just 2 days so I have no way to tell you about how it is best or worse, how it is changing my life, or anything earth shattering.

But I DO have something I CAN tell you. I don't even want a beer anymore. And I like beer. A LOT!!!! I haven't even tried any of the GREAT selection of included recipes that came included with the juicer. I just tossed in about 4 carrots, 1 small pear, 2 pieces of celery, 2 small red apples and it made over 16 ounces of juice! Blows my old mind (short trip). The weirdest thing of all to me at 60 years of age is I HATE carrots. HATE them. ANY form, hate them. Now, I can't get enough. And even weirder, I wasn't able to even eat any breakfast as I was too full. I don't remember anyone saying juice would fill me up. Usually if I had a V8 it just made me want a beer to go WITH it.

So all the expert juicers can decide which brand is best, which style is best. For my recreational use and for my being able to EASILY take it apart and fully clean in 10 minutes (and I am disabled, no, NOT from the beer!), I do a very rare thing. I give this a 5 star rating. As my experience with it grows, I will update this review as required as to reliability, stamina etc. My last and only prior juicer was such a nightmare to clean AND use, got NO juice, it makes this nothing less than shocking. To have so much juice, so much GREAT flavor, almost fun to operate and clean, who knows.....I may just end up skinny & healthy. But then after today's tomato. celery & zucchini with onion experiment, I can see myself wondering what a little Vodka might do for a little added flavor? Probably lucky for me that the only alcohol I ever liked was beer......

If I get into this in a big way and discover I like leafy green stuff juiced, and find this will NOT do that well, I will find someway to go the BIG bucks for a slow turning juicer that does that type juicing best. Heck, maybe I can recycle all my old beer cans to pay for it? Can't believe it took me 60 years to find a HEALTHY way to get juiced.
_______________________________________________________

2 week update. After using this twice a day some days, once per day everyday for over a week I have problems. One, we have now ruined MORE than the cost of our juicer is clothing stains from flying juice and "pieces" no matter how careful we are. It also has the dreaded "pulp trapped inside the seam between the clear part and the grey plastic" problem. I have tried to no end to contact the manufacturer. On hold with voice mail for over 1 HOUR, then instructed to leave my phone number to have them call me back=NEVER did. Sent email=NO response. Will SADLY now request a return from Amazon on this product I first loved but now is a problem as well as a health risk. I will also buy a juicer with a warranty LONGER than just ONE year. I tried to revise my 5 star rating but Amazon does NOT allow me to do this. I would drop it to 2 stars IF I knew it was not a serious health risk due to the hassle with NO customer service in my case. If I knew for sure it IS a serious health risk, I would drop it to NO stars. But then Amazon will not let me do this either.....
1/23/2009 UPDATE:

This juicer has been returned and I have now owned the new Omega 8006 for a few weeks. Did a FULL review at Epinions of it. What an amazing difference.

1 YEAR 2 week later update:
The Omega Model 8006 is still being used as well as a L Equip XL Wide Mouth Mini Juicer. Still lost over 50 pounds, STILL haven't had or even wanted a beer in over a year. And both of these models are easy to clean and trap no unhealthy food particulate in any crevices etc. Tried & true good solid juicers being used daily.
Mike

2 Year Update: Just sold the L Equip. Probably (well "maybe") going to sell our Omega Juicer as well. Been using a Vitamix 5200 the past few months also. I know it isn't "real" juicing since I also eat the entire product. But for quick & easy, saving 70% on the fruits & veggies, making soups etc? I just got lazy I guess? But to get an idea, go create my meal, clean up & be sitting at the table in 5 minutes? What would ANY lazy old goat like me do? Oh, and for what it's worth, it is now over 2 years without a single beer.....
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update after almost 4 years.
Never sold this juicer. Even though out Vitamix is a daily workhorse there are still times we use this for juice with NO pulp. As rare as that is, we just find it indispensable for when the mood strikes....For serious juicers, I have found a website that offers the BEST info anywhere. Even though I buy from Amazon (on a daily basis for ALL my needs) I get my best guidance on the latest products from [...]

John Kohler who owns that company also has a Youtube site and recently showed an all new Omega Blender he feels will be a Vitamix killer? Well maybe not....

[...]

Hope all this has helped. Vitamix just announced yet an all new model that will not require hearing protection like my 5200 does too. And the beat goes on!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 21 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 137 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2009, 9:25:01 AM PST
Redd McKegg says:
Better than Guiness??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009, 6:43:55 AM PST
Well......Maybe just a TIE with Guiness? But less filling!

Posted on Jan 14, 2010, 8:53:38 PM PST
Tell me again the health hazard you were worried about? Somehow I missed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2010, 6:52:57 AM PST
"pulp trapped inside the seam between the clear part and the grey plastic" problem. I placed it in the 2 week update????
1 YEAR 2 week update:

Posted on Jun 16, 2010, 11:30:51 AM PDT
Boilermate says:
Mike -
The only way to revise your rating is to cut and paste your review into a new one and delete this one.

Posted on Sep 28, 2010, 3:31:47 AM PDT
bvs1216 says:
still havent explained the health hazard, but i think we know what it is, and are glad you stopped it.......beer!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010, 3:42:29 PM PST
PLBR says:
Yes he explained..trapped food harbors bacteria

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010, 3:46:02 PM PST
PLBR says:
Great review. Was just about to order the Breville until I saw your update. So which do you like better the Omega or L Equip XL? I'm shopping for Christmas presents.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2010, 4:08:58 PM PST
Well THIS will confuse you even further! I just sold the LEquip even though it is so much easier to use than my beloved Omega. Why? Because I just bought a new Vitamix 5200 2 months ago. If you want easy, it takes the cake....So for "real" juicing I use my Omega. 3 times a day EVERY day? I use the Vitamix. I have to also be honest, I will probably sell my Omega soon too? Especially after the holidays when everyone is FAT! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010, 4:08:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2010, 4:17:59 AM PST
PLBR says:
You are right.....now I'm VERY confused. Sometimes to a "oldster" SO much info can be a bad thing. I'm re-thinking my gifts, because I'm not sure what to do. It's great your off the beer hun. I have neighbors that spend every evening consuming almost a case of beer. My brother died 5 years ago from drinking too much beer. It's a terrible inside out death.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›