Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 22, 2012
For anyone who doesn't have a PS3 this may be the best PS3 deal ever IF you can get it at the Black Friday special $199 price. It's still pretty good value at the normal price.

I've been a PS3 owner ever since the 60GB Classic became available in 2007 and I've been impressed with the PS3's reliability, versatility and its sheer power - I've owned both Classic and Slim models, upgraded most, gave away a couple. In the end one's choice for a gaming console is a matter of personal taste and preference but the PS3 is by far the more popular 'gaming' or 'entertainment' implement in our household. And we do own an Xbox.

I am buying this one (on the waiting list and hoping to get lucky) as a Christmas gift for a kid whose old PS3 classic seems to be about to give up and I know will enjoy playing inFAMOUS and the Uncharted.

Here's a quick FAQ I put together on the new super-slim model.

___________________________________________

THE FAQ:

Q: Why should I buy a PS3 at all? What's it good for?
A: With a PS3 you can play disc-based or downloaded games and this includes no-fee support for multiplayer, play Blu-ray, DVD movies or stream, rent or download movies or your own videos, play CDs or upload and play your own music, upload and display your photos, listen to Internet radio stations, access an ever-increasing number of Internet services such as Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Music Unlimited, browse the Web, play content off DLNA-compatible computers, laptops, media servers or network-attached storage (NAS) or allow your computers to play content stored on your PS3, integrate with your PSP or Vita portable consoles.

Q: In what ways is the new PS3 different from the current models?
A: The new model (Super Slim) is smaller, lighter, more quiet, more power efficient, has a larger HDD and has discs top-loaded vs. front-loaded on the Slim.

Q: Can I get the console without the games and pay less?
A: No. This is probably the best PS3 deal you are likely to get this year, with or without games.

Q: Should I buy this bundle or should I wait for more choices or a price drop?
A: Wait if you feel like gambling but even if a better deal pops up between now and Christmas it's not likely to be a lot better.

Q: Isn't Sony expected to announce the PS4 soon?
A: It is likely that Sony's next generation console will be launched in 2013. Sony recently committed to support the PS3 at least through 2015.

Q: If I already have a PS3 is this model worth the upgrade?
A: See the answer to the first question. The new model has an additional 90GB of HDD storage when compared to the 160GB Slim.

Q: I am planning to buy my first Sony console? Should I buy the Slim, the Super Slim (this bundle) or wait for the PS4?
A: This bundle has a lot of value. We bought our first PS3 in 2007 and we paid a lot for it. The reward was us enjoying it for the 2 years between the time of our purchase and Sony announcing some less expensive models. In our case it was well worth it. I would expect the PS3 to remain a viable gaming platform and home entertainment center for at least two more years.

Q: I owned an older model. Is the new model compatible with all my existing peripherals: controllers, Move, Eye camera, keyboard, charger?
A: Yes.

Q: Does this model come with HDMI, USB cables?
A: There is a USB cable in the box but you will have to supply your own HDMI if you need one.

Q: Once I buy this bundle, what else will I need to have a fully functional console?
A: You should buy an HDMI cable if you are going to connect your PS3 to an HD TV. You may also want a second controller. A Move bundle (controllers, camera) is highly optional. A charger should be okay but it's not needed because controllers charge through the PS3's USB ports.

Q: If I buy the 250GB model can I upgrade later to a larger size?
A: Yes, Sony will allow you to replace the existing HDD with a compatible 2.5" SATA drive without voiding the warranty. There are dozens of step-by-step guides on YouTube.

Q: Will I have to pay Sony if I wanted to play co-op or multiplayer games?
A: No. The basic PSN access is free. There is the Playstation Plus option that adds some perks such as free trial games, betas and demos and some discounts on downloaded titles but `non-essential' is the key word. I never felt I needed to pay for that service.

Q: Is there a complete list of services currently on the PS3?
A: This is what is available at the time I'm writing this: NFL Sunday Ticket, Hulu Plus, Netflix, YouTube, Vudu HD Movies, Crunchyroll (anime), NHL Gamecenter Live, MLB.tv, XOS College Sports, CinemaNow, Laugh Factory Live (beta), Music Unlimited.

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<
1919 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?