Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, to my surprise (and relief!), November 13, 2015
This review is from: Litter-Robot III Open-Air - Automatic Self-Cleaning Litter Box (Misc.)
I have to admit - i could not believe it was even possible for a litter box to cost this much. When i first saw the price, i thought it had to be a typo. However, i went ahead and decided to try it anyway, based on the reviews, and I'm really glad i did. I've owned several electric litter boxes in the past - none can even remotely compare.

My experience with the other styles is that the tines get dirty and have to be cleaned pretty frequently (every day or two) and that the box where the clumps are deposited isn't really "contained" enough to prevent odor. Worse, they were proven to malfunction. In THIS case, the clumps are tucked away nicely - the "cat" smell is greatly reduced; the mechanism seems to remain very clean and we've had no malfunctions.

The size is a little startling - my boyfriend remarked that it looked like we were preparing to launch the cats on a moon mission - so i was concerned the cats would find it too scary to use. Fortunately, that's not been the case - as soon as they figured out that it was an unending supply of clean litter, they have been just fine with it.

The device is solidly built and does what i says it will do - better than anything else I've tried out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2016, 6:02:17 PM PST
SciFi Nut says:
Great review. I laughed when I read the moon mission comment. It really does look like a space ship.

This product is absolutely 100% worth every penny. For those worried about the price, you can get it for 20% off online at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Posted on Jan 26, 2016, 3:37:46 PM PST
WildeKatza says:
We have the LR2 and my dh said the exact same thing...sending the cats into space. I am wondering whether or not I should get this new one as an additional one for ours. Have you had any issues with the rubber lip everyone keeps talking about or the sensor being overly sensitive and not cycling? I already have cats that weedle on the floor. They don't need additional excuses.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2016, 1:08:12 PM PDT
C. Moss says:
Sorry - i just saw this. I did have the lip problem but solved it with a medium binder clip (you know - those black metal one's that are part of every office supply closet?). I haven't noticed an issue with the sensitivity...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2016, 2:05:02 PM PDT
WildeKatza says:
C. Moss, that is alright! I ended up going with the old model that we already had. The cats use it and have no issues with it. We have had ours for a little over a year now so I am waiting for the board to go out everyone talks about on here. If I get a 3rd one, I will get this one. Maybe by that point they will have the kinks worked out of it...
Thanks for the reply!

Posted on May 4, 2016, 1:39:24 AM PDT
Sandra says:
How many cats do you have? I have 3 and have always been told at least one litter box per cat is necessary. Based on the price of this I don't think that will be possible! Do you find that one is enough for multiple cats despite that golden rule? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2016, 6:01:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 4, 2016, 6:05:30 AM PDT
WildeKatza says:
I have 4 cats-3 who get along together well enough and 1 who just allows everyone else a courtesy of living in "her space". Translation: she hates everyone.
We had 1 of these for over a year downstairs and 1 regular old school non self-cleaning box upstairs. After a year, I was tired of dumping this box 2 times/week and letting the other go 4 days before scooping and we bought another electronic cat box. I read too many complaints on here for the newer version that shuts itself off at nite, etc.so opted to get the same older model I had purchased a year prior. I have had the initial one 18 months now and the 2nd one 5 months and still no overhaul yet. I would say if your cats all use the same box now and don't need their own personal box, then you could do 1 of these and dump more often. I know that rule is because cats don't like to use a box someone else has been in, which is my cat's issues. This one dumps after every use,so they may smell it from the tray below, but not inside. I will tell you that what you save in cat litter MONTHLY , you can add up and at the end of the year, buy a 2nd one. We normally spent $25/MO on cheaper Tidy Cat litter and had 5 boxes going at a time. Now we spend $14/3 MOs on that Dr. Elsey's cat litter so basically $4/MO? Or less with these boxes PLUS I have an old school box at my warehouse for the hater cat to use when she goes to work with us daily and that is included in that $4/mo. I hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2016, 10:22:19 AM PDT
Sandra says:
Thank you so much! I'm a little concerned because now I have 3 boxes, and also my cats almost always pee right against the side of the box, which when I then tilt it to disengage the litter to empty it, often a clump remains stuck to the side. But I think I'll at least try it because with 3 cats the amount of time I spend cleaning is ridiculous, so I'm desperate for a solution! And I use World's Best Cat litter, which is very expensive too, so I'd love to save and not use so much. I use that one because I found out that clay litter is very bad for little kitty lungs :-(. Thanks again for all the help!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2016, 10:13:45 PM PDT
Alfuso says:
I've named mine HAL. The next one will be DAVE

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2016, 11:25:21 AM PDT
WildeKatza says:
LOL!...Okay...we are truly crazy cat people if we start not only naming their cat boxes, but then admitting it publicly, Alfuso. I am just going to throw that one out there. ;) Ours are "Old one" and "New One" respectively to the kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2016, 12:40:41 PM PDT
Alfuso says:
It was just too hard to pass up giving these Pods HAL and DAVE. It was a gob-smacking movie in its time.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›