Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good protection for your computer with limited impact on resources, March 3, 2012
This review is from: KASPERSKY INTERNET SECURITY 2012 3U (WIN XPVISTAWIN 7) (CD-ROM)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Prior to installing the Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, I had used McAfee Total Protection, Norton Internet Security and Kaspersky Pure 2011 to protect my computers. I installed Internet Security 2012 onto my computer by downloading the trial version from the Kaspersky website and then entering the serial number that I had received with my purchase from Amazon. The license is for three machines. The clock starts ticking on the license the day that you install Kaspersky Internet Security on the first machine. Installations on additional machines will expire on the same day as the first machine.

At the end of the installation, you are asked if you would like to participate in the Kaspersky Security Network This is also referred to as Cloud Protection. If you opt into this protection, any suspicious or unrecognizable data which is encountered by Kaspersky Internet Security on your computer is automatically sent via the internet to Kaspersky for analysis. Since the same applies to everyone who has opted into Cloud Protection, Kaspersky claims that they can quickly detect new threats which makes Cloud Protection better for everyone. It is suggested that the more people that participate, the better Cloud Protection works. There is a disclaimer that Kaspersky Lab performs no collection, processing or storage of personal data sent by users. Cloud Protection is voluntary and you can turn it off at any time. I have opted not to participate and have not had any nags or other prompts from program to change my mind.

I am running Kaspersky Internet Security on a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate with an Intel Core i7-2720QM processor with 8 GB of RAM and on a netbook running Windows XP with a Intel Atom 1.6 Ghz processor and 2 GB of RAM. The netbook has about 10 GB of free space on the hard drive. I don't notice any appreciable lag in the computing time of either machine as compared to Norton Internet Security, for example. Nor have I noticed the lag that the prior version of Kaspersky Internet Security caused on my machines during startup.

The interface for Kaspersky Internet Security is nice and uncluttered. The opening page has only four buttons: scan, update, parental control and tools. At the top are buttons for reports and settings. However creating scheduled scans is not a straightforward as it should be. You must go under tools / settings, then click on full scan settings, then click on a button that reads "run mode". Why couldnt Kaspersky just put a button that read "schedule scans"?

A scan of the 750 MB hard drive of my laptop using the standard settings takes several hours. Reports about the events such as banners that were blocked, scans that were performed and applications that were controlled. This level of detail in the report may not be needed, but it is nice that it is available if you want to see what Kaspersky Internet Security has been doing.

Some nice features of the scan settings include the ability to set rules for computers which are used for gaming or which run programs which require a lot of resources. In the case of gaming, there is a specific gaming profile which when set, disables updates and scheduled tasks. You can also set the software to postpone scheduled tasks in the case of a high load on the CPU.

A nice scan feature is the Vulnerabilities Scan which scans for outdated versions of the software on your computer. This scan found outdated versions of Firefox, Java and even Photoshop on my computer. The scan also found vulnerabilities on my computer such as allowing autorun on usb drives or problems with Internet Explorer. In each case, I was given an internet link to a page which described the problem and the fixes. In my opinion, this is a very important part of the scan since vulnerabilities in Java or Flash, for example could compromise the security of your computer. I have been impressed by how quickly Kaspersky Internet Security picks up on problems with the software on my machine. Thanks to Kaspersky, I often update my software long before I am asked to do so by the software packages themselves. However, the protection is not without problems. Even after I update Java, for example, the Vulnerabilities Scan still asks me to update even though I have already installed the version that Kaspersky is requesting. This problem existed in prior versions of Kaspersky Internet Security as well and I would have liked to have seen Kaspersky correct it by now.

Other nice features include: safe run for applications which allows you to run unknown applications in a safe environment that is isolated from the operating system, Kaspersky Rescue Disk which creates a bootable CD or USB flash drive for eliminating infections and Privacy Cleaner which deletes cookies, logs and other private data.

You have the option of allowing Kaspersky Internet Security to check for updates automatically to manually check for updates. The documentation with Kaspersky Internet Security indicates that it would be preferred if you let the program update automatically. However, I have chosen to update manually. Kaspersky Internet Security gives me warnings every day that updates are not automatic. I also get warnings if my databases are more than 24 hours out of date. I would have preferred at least a 2 or 3 day lag before I got these warnings and it is as if Kaspersky Internet Security is trying to nag me to choose automatic updates which I find annoying.

The features of Kaspersky PURE that Kaspersky Internet Security lacks include a more robust identity protection, a password manager, a disaster recovery option where data is backed up online, a more robust computer tune up and a more robust network security. Although all of those features are nice, if you are just looking to protect your computer itself and dont want or need the features such as password manager, Internet Security is a more cost effective option than PURE.

In summary:
Cons:
- Scheduling scans is not intuitive. You need to click on a button marked manual to change the virus scans from manual to scheduled and unless you know to click on the button. Kaspersky should have made it much easier to schedule a virus scan.
- I had to change the default setting to allow for the full scan of USB drives when they are fist detected. I strongly believe that full scans of USB drives should be the default setting with the allowance that the user can change the setting. The only time that Kaspersky has found viruses during its scans is when I have plugged in a USB drive that I have used them to get data from someone else's computer.
- Open Vulnerabilities Scan not part of the full scan
- The Open Vulnerabilities Scan does not recognize when programs with vulnerabilities are updated to the latest version.
- Nags when the databases are only a day old

Pluses
- Not intrusive on your computer's performance
- Updates even when the network speed is slow
- Very good reputation
- Full of features

Overall, very good protection for your computers.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]