Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 4, 2012
I received this book through a giveaway on Read It Forward. The short synopsis looked interesting so I entered my name in the drawing not really knowing what to expect. I really, really enjoyed this book! Kieran Shields does an excellent job developing his characters throughout the book. Unlike some authors who give you all the background on a character right at the beginning of a book (or series), in this you continue to learn more about the characters as the story unfolds. I loved the relationship between Archie Lean and Percival Grey, it had a Holmes/Watson feel to it.
I enjoyed how the story was mostly mystery with a good deal of history and some occult thrown in. The author didn't overdo the occult angle which was great because some authors can go overboard with it.

I thought I had everything pretty much figured out about 3/4 of the way through the book, but I wasn't disappointed by that fact. It was like the author was dropping just enough hints that he wanted you to figure things with the main characters, or even just before them. Then just as I was feeling quite satisfied with myself, here comes a twist and things weren't exactly as I thought. I loved that! The book kept me thinking.

The one thing I thought might have been a bit too much was the overly thorough descriptions of the cities and the layouts of the streets. Unless I missed something I don't think most of it was integral to the telling of the story. Sure, locations played a big role in parts of the story. But the author going into detail about what streets intersected each other, and that one street was called by another name the next town over actually took away from the story telling a little I think.

That's my only complaint. I definitely look forward to more from this author. Perhaps with some of the same characters as the ending seemed to have hinted that this won't be the last we hear from them. I'll also be recommended this book to friends.
What's this?