BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on January 14, 2010
I caught a few fleeting glimpses of this show in reruns on broadcast TV many years ago. At the time I was avoiding anything that smacked of "appointment television" so I never followed it, but things stuck in my mind for years - in particular, I caught the episode where garry turns on his own show on TV (which is live footage of him watching himself watching himself) and quickly proclaims "It's just a guy watching TV - who wants to watch that?....Oh, that's me!" - the sheer meta-ness of that stuck with me. So I welcomed the chance to see the show from the beginning.

These DVDs are superbly produced and packaged, picture and sound are clear and there are interesting extras (though I'd have loved more - where is the 25th Anniversary Special, the bridge to the Larry Sanders show?).

That said, I do think the price is a bit high. It's a fun show, but not always great - some episodes are kind of flat and I winder if I'll go back and watch many of them a second or third time. In contrast, I'd gladly pay these prices for Larry Sanders, but that show was much more densely packed and stands up much better to repeated viewings.

Bottom line: The show is well worth seeing and these DVDs are superbly produced, but as an investment I think it's really for die-hard fans until/unless the price drops.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?