Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 6, 2013
So many people are confused about what to eat, what not to eat, and why or why not.

As a cardiologist (with a master's degree in physiology of exercise), I have had to tip-toe through the mine-field of nutrition publications to help myself, before I could help my patients. I started to gain weight while doing triatholons and following a Mediterranean Diet. Then I decided to follow the same diet I recommended to heart attack victims, I followed and failed a rigorous low fat diet. I was worse, gained weight!

I realized then that my patients were not lying to me when they continued to get worse: more weight, higher BP, worse cholesterol and triglycerides DESPITE my recommendations. They told me they followed my dietary and exercise instructions and continued to gain weight, despite a dietary regimen of only breathing air and drinking water.

I was desperate. I was the Cardiologist who was becoming obese with metabolic syndrome. How could I be a reliable, credible teacher for my patients when I couldn't cure my own "disease"?

Yes, I crossed the forbidden line for cardiologists. I "went Low Carb".

I learned about the science, metabolism, and applied biochemistry of low carbohydrate nutrition from Eric Westman MD and his colleagues. I took a course involving hours of tutorials and reviews of hundreds of scientific papers. I was convinced that there was scientific merit. I became my own guinea pig.

It worked on myself. Weight came down, BP came down, Triglycerides went down and HDL went up. All as predicted. Now I offer this to my patients with confidence, and following a 60 pound weight loss, I feel better about myself and about what my patients can achieve.

This manual is the essence. I strongly recommend that anyone who wants to follow this regimen become very familiar with the contents, and bring the manual to their health care provider. If there are any medical conditions present, as there usually are, then this regimen should be done under the supervision of a health care provider who is familiar with Low Carbohydrate Ketogenic nutrition. If your health care provider is willing to go along with you, but has not had experience with a ketogenic diet bring a copy of this manual along with a copy of the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" as a gift. You, and your health care provider, will be happy that you did.
502 helpful votes