Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars My first impressions of the 3DS XL, August 19, 2012
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS XL - Red/Black (Video Game)
Well, I just came back from Target about 30 minutes ago and I picked up my 3DS XL. I picked up the red and black one. As soon as I took it out of the box I could see that this was well worth the money. IMO, the overall design is much better than the original 3DS. When you open the lid, you a hear a click that assures you that the hinge is tightly fastened. The screens are beautiful and the size of them are great. The original 3DS's screen is dwarfed compared to the 3DS XL's as it's 90% bigger. The stylus is now on the side rather than on the top which I think is a better place for it, as it's easier to get to in the middle of a game. The outer shape seems to have a more rounded design than the original 3DS. There is no docking station for recharging this time but rather it went back to the original cord in the back. Also, if you have an old DS XL case, then the 3DS XL will fit in it. I have one that I bought from BB last week for $1.99. Also, the 3DS XL comes with a 4GB card rather than the 2GB that comes with the original 3DS.

I popped in Mario 3D just to see how the picture was and I was amazed on how vivid the colors are and how the game fits perfectly as on the DS XL, people complained that the games seemed a little blurry because of the size enhancement. I've registered it on clubnintendo.com and now I'm in the process of tranferring my data from original 3DS to my XL. It's taking awhile but it was a snap making the transfer. Here's the video I used for it.

How to Transfer Files From a 3DS to a 3DS XL on youtube

Update: My system has now been fully transferred and everything from my original 3DS is now on my 3DS XL including the Ambassador Program info. Took about 20 minutes give or take. Also, you have to first do a system update on your 3DS XL before you start the transfer so you'll have to connect your 3DS XL to your WiFi connection before anything. The 3DS XL comes charged about 50% straight out of the box, so you can make the full transfer without having to charge it first. Also, for everyone who doesn't actually own a 3DS but plans on getting one, spend the extra $30-$40 and get the XL. You definitely won't be disappointed.

Update #2: Well, I've played a few games so far such as MK 7, Mario 3D, SSF IV, and Heroes of Ruin, and I must say, it's great. With my original 3DS, I really didn't use the 3D aspect of it on games because I tend to move around a lot while playing and the "sweet" spot was very small to really maintain the 3D effect but it's much bigger on the XL. Super Street Fighter IV is beautiful in 3D on such a nice sized screen. The bigger screen also added a lot of depth in MK 7 as it looks like you are really driving down a road. This bigger screen really makes me appreciate the 3D aspect of the 3DS and it's games. The 3D XL really makes me glad to be a Nintendo fan and I can't wait to see what they have their sleeves in the next coming months and years as far as games. I think the 3DS's library might be able to top the DS's in a couple of years and we all know that won't be an easy job but I think now we have a near perfect handheld gaming device.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012, 5:06:25 AM PDT
flowerchild says:
Thanks for your extremely informative review and for the helpful YouTube video used for transfer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012, 6:41:15 AM PDT
Jawwaad says:
You're welcome Flowerchild. I found the transfer video a couple of days before the XL was released and knew it would be very helpful to myself and others due to the fact I had no idea how I was going to transfer my data as I've never made a transfer before. Glad it was useful to you.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012, 2:52:40 PM PDT
Radiohead says:
Thank you as well. Was wanting to buy it from Amazon.com but like you might need to go to Target now to get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012, 11:19:21 PM PDT
Jawwaad says:
You're welcome A. It's a shame that Nintendo and Amazon have some type of "beef" with each other because it would be nice for Amazon customers to be able to order the XL or even the original 3DS from them. I actually have a part time job at Target and that's why I bought my XL from them because of my discount. Hope you enjoy your XL because I sure am and I just received my NSMB2 copy from Newegg and plan on playing it tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012, 3:45:32 PM PDT
Tremaine R. says:
If You got one from asavings can you let me know if it came with a charger? i just want to make sure it does before i do i have heard stories.. thx

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012, 7:36:00 PM PDT
Jawwaad says:
It definitely comes with a charger Tremaine. Just not the cradle type that the original 3DS come with. It comes with the basic wire that we saw on the DS models.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012, 1:48:37 PM PDT
MB says:
What you heard was that outside of the US, the 3DS XL does not include a charger, which is true, but the US version does.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013, 11:14:03 AM PST
Ivy Lilithe says:
Since you did the system transfer, I do have one question - Does your eShop balance transfer over? I just recently applied an eShop card to my 3DS, but now I'm seriously considering upgrading to an XL, and I want to make sure the money transfers over!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013, 1:21:10 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Ivy, when you do a system transfer, everything associated with your account transfers. Whether it be games, eshop balances, and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013, 3:54:23 PM PST
Ivy Lilithe says:
Awesome, thanks! :) I figured as much, but wanted to be absolutely certain.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›