BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 12, 2010
As stomach sleepers already know, it is amazingly difficult to find a pillow that provides adequate support without being too lofty and causing neck strain from the height. I have searched the world over trying to find a pillow that would meet my needs. For the last few years I have settled for cheap, flat pillows that needed to be replaced approximately every 6 months because I thought it was the best I could do.

While researching my options I happened upon the natural latex phenomenon and all of its properties so I decided to try this pillow and boy am I happy I did!

The pillow arrives in a nice half plastic, half fabric case with a zipper opening and handle. The pillow comes encased in a surprisingly high quality, luxuriously soft white velour cover with the letter "Z" all over. The cover has a side zipper that is hidden which is a very nice touch. When the cover is removed, there is what I refer to as a lining over the pillow which can be seen in the stock pictures. The pillow itself is somewhat dense and a little heavier than expected with a bit of a bounce to it. As shown in the pictures there is also uniform holes over the majority of the surface which comes from the Talalay manufacturing process. For grins and giggles you should google the Dunlop and Talalay processes. It is rather interesting. Overall, I am very impressed with the quality and construction.

Before I get into the sleep quality let me help quell your fears about previous negative remarks on the smell. I was rather apprehensive that I would have to let the pillow air out for days or even worse that it would be so noxious I wouldn't be able to tolerate it at all. Those fears were alleviated as soon as I opened the case. Don't be mistaken, there is a distinct odor to it. However, it was more oddly sweet and earthy than a sickeningly chemical off-gassing. I slept on it less than 12 hours out of the package and while I could smell it, it wasn't bothersome and I quickly fell into slumber. I suppose those who are super-sensitive to smells might dislike it but I've had other products like my mini trampoline engulf multiple rooms with its stench that didn't dissipate until it was removed from the house altogether.

Now, let me me discuss how this thing actually sleeps. To be honest I was rather giddy about receiving this product so as soon as I had washed the cover I threw my pillowcase on ( Spasilk 100% Pure Silk Facial Beauty Pillowcase ) and tried it out. The feel is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Your head sinks into this conforming uber-soft latex cloud, but there is an astonishing springiness to it which provides support. This juxtaposition of softness and support is hard for me to describe as I am unfamiliar with anything like it. The first night I made the mistake of trying to sleep on it as I would have my old pillows which is to sleep on the very edge where I had previously formed a little groove by moving the fill to either side. The next night I slept with my head in the middle and actually used the outer zone for neck support and it worked beautifully! One note about the zones: The manufacturer touts this as a zoned pillow with the center being slightly softer for your head to rest and the remaining outline of the pillow slightly more dense to provide neck support. If one were to use their hand to try and find these zones they would be sorely disappointed. I tried and could not tell any difference. However, when finding my sweet spot for sleeping, there is a very subtle change which my head and neck could very well notice. I also wanted to mention that not only is this pillow not hot to sleep on like memory foam and other synthetic-type materials, but I have actually woken up cooler every single morning than with my regular pillow. The high today in my city was 93 with humidity in the 70's so this aspect was very important to me.

I will never go back to sleeping on traditional pillows ever again and with a 5 yr manufacturer warranty on this pillow I think the company is betting on it as well but even if it only lasts half of that time it would be well worth the price I paid. I have even ordered NATURAL 2-inch Medium Latex Mattress Pad Topper Queen - PLUS $10 OFF for my brand new yet too-firm memory foam mattress because I am head over heels for the feeling latex provides. I liken it to a Bentley when you're used to a Hyundai. Just try it, you won't be disappointed.

TL;DR
Buy it and thank me later!
11 comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?