Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on February 22, 2011
I had the both unique and exciting opportunity to read "The Wrong War" as part student of war and part subject matter of the book. In addition to poinent policy analysis, "The Wrong War" provides an honorable tribute to my Warriors of ODA 3121, my ANGLICO Marines and CPT Justin Woodruff, my Marines of Route Clearance Platoon - 3, my friends MAJ Jim Gant and CPT Will Swenson, the architect of Operation Moshtarak and my mentor Col Randy Newman, and my Classmate CPT Jimmy Howell. Based on nearly a decade of ground combat experiences across Afghanistan, it would be difficult to find a duplicate or comparable effort to "The Wrong War".
To my brother's in arms, I highly recommend this book as "Chicken Soup for the Warrior's Soul". As Bing combines analysis of American policy, Afghan history and first hand unit accounts from across the country, the Soldier or Marine may find comfort that our Afghan struggles, though great are not in isolation and though often misrepresented are not misunderstood in this book. To the casual reader or historian, you have a front row seat for the bloody struggle for legitimacy and control in the Afghan countryside and the challenges facing Soldiers and Marines who have been directed to nation build.
I have watched Bing, under fire and without a weapon or protective armor, fearlessly run along side my Special Forces Soldiers (many years his junior I might add) as they jumped canals and climbed walls to vigorously pursue and punish the enemy. Bing has done this over and over again for this book; his heart to tell the story of our sacrifices, victories, and failures from the grunt's point of view shines through every page of this book.

To my fallen Marines, SGT Jeremy McQueary and LCpl Larry Johnson, Ave atque Vale.

De Oppresso Liber,

Matt Golsteyn
1111 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?