Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the idea, but the nipple gags my baby, May 20, 2010
This review is from: Dr. Brown's BPA Natural Flow Bottle Newborn Feeding Set (Packaging may vary) (Baby Product)
I have been looking for a bottle that my daughter will not reject. My daughter was using The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Starter Set, but suddenly rejected the bottle. We noticed that she became very gassy with those bottles, so tried the Dr. Brown's bottles, which were recommended by my home daycare provider. I believe that the venting system is important, as the Breastflow nipple would collapse completely while she was drinking, making it harder to draw milk. However, the nipple on the Dr Brown's bottle was so long and narrow my daughter would gag regularly as the nipple hit the back of her throat.

The bottle also leaked from the sides/vent after returning to an upright position even though I filled the bottle below the max fill line.

A little advice: if you are trying to find the perfect bottle for your baby, keep in mind that all babies are different. My son would take ANY bottle without a problem, and now my daughter is on her 4th bottle, and I still haven't found the perfect one. Both of my children were breastfeeding exclusively at the time. I suggest buying single bottles at a store and trying it before ordering large starter kits.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2010 3:22:27 PM PDT
Grame says:
This review helped me make up my mind about purchasing sets or single bottles! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2010 10:16:38 PM PST
D. Estrada says:
This review helped me put my bottle purchase on "hold" until after I have my baby and "test drive" the single bottles first before purchasing any set. Thank you!!!

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 3:21:28 PM PDT
Catherine says:
I used this product for both my son and then my daughter and I absolutely loved it. It helped prevent gas and my 2 didn't get colic at all. As for the leaking, if you do heat the bottle up too much and put the lid on to shake it it may leak a little from the sides, but if you un-do the lid and release the built up pressure it works just fine. There are different "stage" nipples you can use for your baby to prevent gaging, there's a premee set that has the smallest neck and "stage 1" is a good size for most newborn's. As for cleaning, it can take a little work to do with some of the parts but it can easily be thrown in the dishwasher given you have a good dishwashing basket. Currently I am pregnant with my 3rd child and definitely plan on using this product again.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 9:16:33 AM PST
J. Becker says:
I noticed that if I don't have the inner pieces lined up well (or if I forget to put them in at all - it happens in the middle of the night sometimes haha) it leaks, but other than that I have had no issues with leaks. Not saying it can't happen, just that it may be a simple thing to fix if you adjust the inner pieces. For my son, this is the only nipple he will take, and while it is WAY longer than my nipples, if I just set the tip in his mouth and let him draw in the rest by his sucking, he doesn't have any issues with gagging. Hope my experiences can help!

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 1:10:01 PM PST
I used these bottles for 14 months with my daughter and I never had any problems with leaking or her gagging. It was the only bottle she would take. I wonder if there was something faulty with your ventilation system?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 8:40:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2012 8:41:32 PM PDT
Geoffrey says:
Ploobs.. Im sure your child is soon to be off the bottle if not already by now, but for any of those who are reading this review and have the same issue with the gagging...try the wide neck bottles that Dr. Browns have. The nipple is wider at the base and the nipple itself is shorter. Or if that doesn't work a slow-flow nipple would help. sometimes the gagging isn't bc of a long nipple (the breast nipple stretches back pretty far...) its bc the amount of milk coming out at once...the slow flow would have less fluid/suckle. The down fall to the wide neck is that you'll need the wide neck bottle, so if you've already invested in standard size bottles... the this could be an issue to re invest in a whole other stash of bottles...in that case i'd try the slow flow nipple first if that doesn't work then the wide neck. ( Im a NICU-RN with experience from both being a mommy of two under two and a nurse of itty bitty people!) -spouse of Geoffrey-

Posted on Jul 24, 2013 4:18:20 PM PDT
Nic0co says:
I've been using these bottles for 9 months and never had a problem. Were you using the correct nipple? There are different stages. 0+, 3+, 6+...something like that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›