Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 12, 2011
This latest edition to the Fancy Nancy series was a big hit in our home. My four-year-old daughter, who has really taken off in her artwork these past few weeks, enjoyed this book immensely. In fact, she was so inspired by the story that she drew her own version of "Tulips in the Wind"! I would have to say that it is one of my favorites of the Fancy Nancy stories we have read (and we own 90% of them). I give it 4 out of 5 stars, though, because I think the book could have introduced more artists than just the four (Degas, Monet, Matisse, and Pollock) that were touched on and I think it would have been nice if the style/period of each artist was discussed (ie. Monet is one of the impressionists). Perhaps it is asking too much to incorporate that in a 32 page story for 4 - 8 year olds but that is what I felt was lacking in this book.

Otherwise, I think the story itself is nicely written. While Bree is on vacation for a week, Nancy occupies herself by building an art clubhouse in the backyard and trying out various styles of art each day, even touching on what it is like to have a creative block. Nancy, Robert, and Bree host an outdoor art gallery at the end of the week to display the artwork (mostly Nancy's) that they have created during their week of art exploration.

As for the previous reviewer who did not like the "smaller" size of the book, this is not one of the $17 big books like the original or _Posh Puppy_. This one is the same size as more recent stories like _Explorer Extraordinaire_, _Ooh la la! It's Beauty Day!_, or _Poet Extraordinaire_. These are my favorite size in the series. I think Jane O'Connor writes more "story" in this size (there is definitely more to read per page) and typically provides a good dose of information on the topic being explored.
10 helpful votes