Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value in a pocket-pc, April 24, 2004
This review is from: Dell Axim X5 400 MHz Pocket PC (Office Product)
To start out, the Dell Axim X 5 is fantastic! 90% of the negative reviews for it have to be from people who shouldn't have gotten a pocket pc in the first place. I ordered my X5 on a Thursday, and received it the following Tuesday with regular ground shipping. After charging it for the required four hours before turning it on, I had it up and running and synced with my desktop without any problems. I've been using it for a week now and am loving it.
The display is bright and easy to read, the battery life is everything it's supposed to be and I've been perfectly happy with the included software. I'm actually writing this review on my X5 using pocket word!
The touchscreen feels sturdy, yet requires only a gentle tap to make an entry. I find the screen easy to look at, and usually keep the brightness level set at 50%. In direct sunlight the colors on the screen do appear washed out though.
I can't say whether or not Dell customer service is any good or not, but then I don't know that I've ever had a good experience with any companies customer service. I was impressed with how quickly I received my ppc, and how quick and easy it was to start working with it.
I've run several high-end multimedia programs on it without any hitches, and highly recommend downloading the free divxmvp program for running videos.
In CNET's review, they complained about the protector case which comes with it being too large to fit in your pocket. The thing is, it's not made to be put in your pocket while in the case, it's a hip case with a sturdy, removable belt clip that holds my Axim securely and protects it from even moderate bumps, as I'm an engineer who has to do a lot of climbing in and around a lot of equipment.
The X5's shape makes it a pleasure to hold, being slightly tapered at the bottom makes it feel more natural in my hand than a unit which is completely squared off. The rubber grips along the sides of the unit makes it feel very secure while holding it.
On the downside though, I can say that the X5's navigator button is mushy as others have reported, making it nearly useless for gaming. The sound quality from the single speaker on the face of the unit is only adequate, but what can you expect from a mono speaker? The unit does include a standard 1/4 inch stereo headphone jack which provides excellent sound even with a pair of cheap headphones.
The record button on the left side of the Axim is very tiny, and has to be pushed in with the corner of my thumbnail, which is very hard to do, especially while moving or driving. I suppose on the plus side it does make it virtually impossible to accidentally press the record button.
I've found it a little difficult to slip the unit into the syncing/charging cradle, the receptacle on the bottom of the unit doesn't quite line up as well as it should with it's male counterpart in the cradle, making me nervous that I could accidentally damage it.
The included documentation, while adequate does seem sparse, mostly consisting of warnings about what not to do with the unit. More tips about what could be done with it would have been nice.
Overall though, the X5 is a great value for the price, which was $269 including shipping and handling direct from Dell. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything and can't wait to start getting some of the great accessories available for it. I highly recommend this pocket-pc to anyone in search of powerful windows computing in a compact package.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]