Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars They cost a bit more but they are worth it!, July 19, 2012
This review is from: TWO PROTECTED 3100mAh 18650 (Industrial NCR18650A Panasonic Cell inside) Li-ion Rechargeable Orbtronic Battery Cells- DUAL Protection, Button Top, PCB- High Performance (Tools & Home Improvement)
Lithium Ion batteries are not all made the same. They feature different mAh ratings, some are protected and some are not, some are high quality and meet their specification claims and some don't even come close. These batteries sold by Orbtronic are the top of the line 18650 batteries available. They feature the Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh cells that can really provide 3200 mAh of capacity so they exceed their specifications. They are enhanced with a protection circuit board that protects from:

* over current protection - 8 Ampere cut off
* over discharge protection - stops working when the voltage reaches a minimum of 2.5 VDC to protect the battery
* over charge protection - stops charging when it reaches 4.2 VDC
* double short circuit protection
* over heat protection
* A heat resistant layer to make this power cell safer to use

My purchase came to me charged at 3.61 VDC. I charged them with the Xtar WP2 II Smart Charger set at a 1 Ampere charge rate. You can see my video review of that product at this location, just scroll through the reviews until you find my review.

18650 Smart Li-ion Charger and Two 3100mAh PROTECTED Orbtronic (Panasonic NCR18650A cell inside) Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Batteries Kit (NEW Version)

Using a good LI-ion charger is a key to protecting your investment and assuring that the batteries are charged properly and maintained to maximize their life cycle. Here is the charging data for the batteries:

* Starting voltage both at 3.61 VDC
* At one hour they were at 3.91 VDC
* At two hours they we at 4.12 VDC
* At 3 hours they were fully charged at 4.2 VDC

As you can see the batteries quickly charged and they stopped at the specified 4.2 VDC limit. You can tell I have purchased more of these batteries and the charger before and I would not have purchased more if I did not have the utmost confidence in the product and the supplier, Orbtronic.

When I purchased the batteries, they and the other previous order shipped on the same day and I received the product in two days. The service was outstanding and prompt. I had even dropped them an email with a question and they responded within minutes on the weekend.

Before I purchased these batteries I was tempted to buy the cheaper batteries and chargers from other suppliers. I read reviews by people who said they purchased the cheap batteries and they had just thrown their money away as the batteries from the other suppliers were junk. There are even several reviews talking about smoke and even fires coming from cheaper batteries and chargers. It made me investigate these types of batteries on the web. Charged Li-ion batteries can be dangerous. They can explode or catch fire and that is why I purchased the expensive ones with protection built in. The USPS will not even fly Li-ion batteries, iPads, smart phones, Kindles and other electronics that use LI-ion batteries overseas as there have even been reports of fatal cargo airplane crashes due to Li-ion batteries.

I depend on my electronics that use 18650 power cells and I didn't want to have quality issues or potential problems so I brought what I thought was the best available and so far they have proven that they were worth the money. I strongly recommend these batteries from Orbtronic and the battery charger from them is also top notch. Please take the time to look at my video review that I mentioned above.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2013 4:06:41 PM PDT
Lunix says:
Look at the graph included here that supposedly shows that these batteries exceed their rated capacity. That's true only at low discharge currents (200mA), above that these batts fall well short of their rated capacity. This review appears to be a promotional piece for very expensive batteries.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 11:27:03 AM PDT
Electron says:
You have to learn more about how manufacturer (Panasonic in this case) is getting mAh number. Batteryuniversity.com is great place to start.

I do not think 40 reviews are promotional reviews ;)

There are many online reviews coming from battery freaks. This battery has real capacity according all tests.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2013 8:25:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2013 8:27:15 PM PDT
Lunix says:
I have looked at that site in the past, and have actually designed battery chargers, including a multi-chemistry one that allows you to choose or customize a profile from your PC. The graph is self-explanatory. My smartphone phone (Samsung GN2) has a 3140 mAH LiIon battery that costs about $20.00 if I don't shop too hard. Of course, I take very good care of it, and have never needed to replace a smartphone battery. I stand by my review. I think Panasonic makes good electronic components- but I wouldn't overpay for those either (and I don't design them in, with the exception of some surface mount electrolytics in the past).

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 4:44:29 AM PDT
Electron says:
Your post just shows that you do not understand basics. That is one reason I told you to go and learn more about liion batteries.

This is the only Amazon seller that provides actual capacity at various current loads.
Not hiding battery performance data we should respect.
Unfortunately not many buyers understand this graph, but there are quite a few who do understand batteries.
What is important: Real life performance.
Only new Orbtronic 3400mah can beat these babies. No other battery can do that. I've tried them all.
Yes, I am battery freak, and take very seriously comments like yours ;)
Peace

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 12:51:31 PM PDT
Lunix says:
What's the point in discussing this with someone who has convinced him/herself that I don't understand the basics of battery operation? My review and my reply are pretty self-explanatory.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›