Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest review (from a gamer perspective), November 11, 2013
This review is from: LG Electronics 42LN5400 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED TV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
LG Electronics 42LN5400 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV

Design - Plastic stand and cabinet material. Nothing special compared to most models but does the job. The thin bezels helps the look of the TV.

Sound - TV provides plenty of volume and the software features help overall sound quality. On the downside, it sounds like mono rather than stereo. I recommend getting a sound system for it.

Backlighting - The direct LED backlighting makes this TV very bright and looks pretty good in well lit rooms. However, the deep blacks are not dark enough for low lit rooms. Also, the backlight is slightly uneven but but that's normal for LED TV's. If this is a concern, I recommend buying a plasma display.

Viewing angles - It has wide viewing angles. After 40 degrees, picture gets dimmer. That's pretty good for a LED TV.

Refresh rate - This is a tough one. Despite what other reviewers said, this TV is 120hz. However, the motion interpolation (TruMotion) is set to low at the factory and the menu will not give you an option to turn it off or make the settings go higher. This is a good thing because it minimizes the "soap opera effect" when watching film base movies and drama shows. There's still some motion blurring on content that run below 30FPS but any video or games running 48FPS or faster look really good.

Connections - 2 HDMI 1.4 inputs will get you by. The 1 USB port is a plus but it's only good for photos and music, not video or software updates. Good internal digital antenna too.

Input lag - This TV is one of the best TV's for gaming due to its low input lag. I read somewhere that it measures at 8.3 ms. That is pretty quick even compared to higher-end models.

Extra features - The TV is pretty basic. Not a Smart TV so don't expect more than basic video and audio controls. Not a 3D TV too.

In conclusion, the 42ln5400 model is a very good buy for $430 or less (as of November 2013). I highly recommend it if you are on a budget looking for a 42 inch LED. As a gamer, this TV is perfectly priced and well suited for the new PS4 and XBOX1 consoles. I would give it 5 stars if LG gave the option to control the TruMotion settings.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2014, 5:40:48 PM PDT
T. Jackson says:
On mine I have the option to turn the TruMotion completely off.

Posted on Apr 17, 2014, 1:27:43 PM PDT
Nathan says:
Hi Mike Im thinking of purchasing this tv and seeing some very mixed review regarding the motion blur. Im going to be primarily be using the tv for gaming (ps4 and xbox360). Is the motion blur distractingat all or pretty normal in your opinion. Some people have mentioned its unbearable. If you could clarify this forme I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Posted on Jan 20, 2015, 5:24:09 PM PST
Chen Xulian says:
That was a pretty great review. I bought the same samsung tv to replace my previous 10-year old junk but I couldn't stand the cables just hanging around behind the TV. Just not used to them, I guess. I saw this brand called FlexiMounts and they had a ""cable management mount"" for a pretty reasonable price that worked perfectly. It's a must buy if you're as OCD as I am. Hope this helps!

Posted on Jan 21, 2015, 7:33:14 AM PST
Chen Xulian says:
My boyfriend got the same samsung tv and went mad over it. He's a FIFA and COD addict and has three TVs setup along with full-rotating mounts from this brand called FlexiMounts. It's pretty cool the way he can move them around. And not too overpriced either, so a pretty decent buy.

Posted on Jan 21, 2015, 9:37:20 PM PST
Chen Xulian says:
My friend just LOVED this samsung tv. She's one of those HD-only freaks, and she adored the picture quality. I am planning to purchase one for my son. How does the TV work with an XBox? I also read somewhere about a lot of TV related accidents with children, so I plan to mount it on the wall. The brand I considered was FlexiMounts. It has a lot of choices to decide from.

Posted on Jan 23, 2015, 9:42:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 4, 2015, 3:54:56 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 24, 2015, 12:51:26 AM PST

Posted on Jan 24, 2015, 2:19:43 AM PST
Chen Xulian says:
Useful review, thanks! But I'd like to know if anyone out there has ordered a tv mount to go with this samsung tv and if so, can you recommend a model. I don't really care for the low profile or distance to the wall, but I want this mount to be more sturdy. My friend bought a FlexiMounts tv mount and loved it. I'll probably buy the same, but I'm open to suggestions!

Posted on Jan 24, 2015, 8:35:28 AM PST