Amazon Business World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

1,074 of 1,147 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Give me 100 pages and your life will change, May 9, 2006
This review is from: Les Miserables (Mass Market Paperback)
Here's my story about how I came to love this book.

If you're an average schmuck, with a job (not in academia), a life, and some curiosity, this review is for you.

If you're a literary blueblood, this review isnt for you. If your sworn enemy in life used to be your closest friend until they disagreed with you about whether Beowulf was a real person, be offended by my apathy and go away. If you had to turn off the TV newscasts on 9/11 because they were getting in the way of your arguments of whether sonnets devalue prose, just move on down to the next review.

I'm not a Literature buff. I tolerated English in high school and college because I had to, skipping what I could, skimming what I could get away with, and bluffing where needed. The thought picking up a stack of books and being dictated a marathon schedule to read them by still makes me bristle with quiet rebellion.

After school I ended up with a job with lots of down time between bursts of madness. I decided to make use of slow time going back and leisurely reading some of the 'classics' that I probably should have read before. Twain, Tolstoy, Dickens, Stowe and others pulled from the titles of Cliff's Notes (Hey, if Cliff says they're important....) Funny, but classics are much more palatable when they are read on a leisurely timeframe. Some I liked, some I couldn't care less about, but Les Miserables was, literally, a life-changing text.

I fell into Les Mis completely by accident. On day I forgot to pack whatever book I was working on that day and dug around looking for something other than Harlequins and Clancys. I picked up Hugo's Hunchback more by default than choice, liked the book, and in the closing commentary a writer mentioned that Hunchback was merely a prelude to his greatest work, Les Mis.

But starting Les Mis was a trial. French words scattered in the text were stumbling blocks. Hugo's text is a jealous mistress- it demands your full attention while reading. Les Mis is not in the genre of modern novels...grab the reader's attention in the first pages or lose them forever. I got bored reading about a bishop's daily routine. It takes 100 pages for the story to kick in. I stopped reading it twice, only to pick it back up a few months later and start all over.

But, as anyone who was read the novel can tell you, those first chapters are essential to the power of the story that follows.

I pushed my way through, got caught up in the current of the story once it began, and floated out the other side a better human being because of it.

Les Mis is a fantastic, detailed journey through human psychology. With 1400 pages, subplots, a cyclone of characters over decades of history, it can be difficult to distill WHAT the book is about into one word, but here's my try: Redemption.

Les Mis can be trying at times. Hugo is very detailed. He takes the reader though various side trips along the way. More than once he spends 100 pages setting up two pages of storyline. But his detail produces a work that is untouched in its ability to reveal the characters.

We see the difficulty in Valjean weighing wealth and praise from the multitudes against "one voice cursing in the darkness."

We see a character in Fantine pulled from innocence with a slow cruelty found nowhere else in lit: being turned for more misery (in surprising ways)like a pig on a split...with a reader helpless to intervene.

I see the police detective Javert as an embodiment of 'the system,'not necessarily as evil as one reviewer suggests. Hugo's penchant for overly-through descriptions adds multiple dimensions to what would otherwise be a flat character somewhere between a Napoleonic Joe Friday and Robobcop. We see Javert recite all the reasons he is right...and Hugo agrees with Javert... but we see that sometimes there is a larger truth than being 'right.'

Writing this a decade later I still see in my mind one of the most powerful images in the story: a middle-aged man and a small girl, both written off by the society around them, each with little in common with the other,walking down a deserted rural road, both clinging to each other because the other is all they have in the world.

For those who are used to watching all the loose ends coming together at the end of every hour of television, Les Mis will be a rude shift. It ends in a way that can be described as happy in its own sense though everyone doesnt ride off into the sunset or end with a joke and everyone laughing.

Frankly, I think it is impossible to appreciate the nuance of the musical without reading the unabridged text.

I finished reading Les Mis for the first time over 10 years ago. I still remember reading the last page, closing the book, and spending hours reflecting on the immensity of what I had experienced.

Girlfriend read it on my recommendation with similar effect.

Friend decided to stick it in his reading lists on my suggestion. When he started, he came to me frustrated with the slow start. "Is all this about the Bishop necessary to the story?" I said yes and he kept reading. A decade and hundreds of classic novels later still names Les Mis as his favorite book.

Shortly after reading it the first time, he recommended the book to yet another colleague looking for something to read to pass the time. As he handed it over, he issued a challenge: "Give me 100 pages, and your life will change."

He did, it did, and I now offer my friend's challenge to you!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2006, 5:52:26 PM PST
Well, your review of "Les Miserables" was a lesson in not stereotyping reviewers, for me.
I thought your writing style was so great in that review, that I would click and read your other reviews -- assuming that you would be reviewing other literature.

Well, imagine my surprise when all of your other reviews were about cameras, computer "stuff" and what my dad would have called "girlie-magazine photography."

Kudos to you, my friend, you've gone outside your usual medium to post a terrific review of "Les Mis."
And kudos to me, too, for seeing that someone whose interests are totally unaligned with mine can still be respected, and can still love a great book in the same way that I do.

Posted on Jun 19, 2007, 11:32:53 AM PDT
Winter says:
I enjoyed your review. I have heard about the first 100 pages being slow before, but to be honest, as an avid reader on the French Revolution, I found the story of the bishop going to visit the dying revolutionary conventionist on p.35 gripping and an early example of what to expect in the future.

Posted on Aug 7, 2007, 5:44:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2007, 5:50:10 PM PDT
Outstanding review! I enjoyed your solid thought process and delivery. You certainly have read a great translation, sir, judging by your enthusiastic review. Some translations are simply awful. I would love to disagree with you, but I can't. We even share the same opinion about Javert as a symbolic representation of "The System", and I definitely support your recommendation to "survive" his long and painful descriptions of some settings: it will pay back as the plot unfolds before your eyes. When I first read the novel (translations in English and Spanish languages) it did to me exactly what it did to you. I have read all of his other works and they all have that moving power that you mention. It's the signature of "L'Enfant Terrible". Les Mis is simply the masterpiece of a genius. Thanks for your review!

Posted on Nov 4, 2007, 9:33:59 PM PST
Great review. Like you I have started twice and got bogged down in the first 100 pages. I was thinking of giving it another go and so I thought I'd read some reviews to see what other people had to say. Well your review has persuaded me to try again and this time I promise I'll stick with it!

Posted on Jun 29, 2008, 9:53:27 AM PDT
new review. I hardly think you are not literary.

Posted on Jun 29, 2008, 9:53:58 AM PDT
'nice' review I meant. damn laptops keys.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009, 3:28:53 PM PST
annica says:
I'm glad you love it and can overlook its faults- so many people can't. It's not perfect, but it is a masterpiece. The barricade particularly struck me the first time I read it, and I still have to set apart a lot of time so I can read that scene(s) in one sitting because it's impossible to stop! It's amazing that Hugo stopped writing FOR TWELVE YEARS right in the middle of the climax. That seems like it would kill the mood but honestly I don't sense a break anywhere. Very well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2009, 10:06:11 AM PST
R.A.H says:
Great review. You cut yourself short my friend. I would feel quite comfortable sitting with you over beers :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2010, 6:51:05 PM PST
L2S96 says:
I am going to buy this book tomorrow thanks to your review. 100 pages later I'll let you know how I feel about it! Thanks for the thought you put into this review.

Posted on May 3, 2010, 6:30:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2010, 6:31:47 PM PDT
Your review was a delightful and entertaining read. I came home with a used copy of the book today, bought because it was 20¢, and now I think I will actually attempt to read it : )
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›