Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on July 31, 2006
Woody Allen inspires passionate discussion, mind-boggling intellectualization, expert opinion, and unfettered ranting. You could spend the rest of your life studying his films - I believe I saw that someone is researching a Ph.D. thesis on the use of opera in "Match Point." Someone, somewhere, is preparing the definitive comparison of "Match Point" with "Crimes and Misdemeanors," and will hopefully put all related questions to rest. And don't even mention New York vs London.

Well, I have seen a few Woody Allen films, enjoyed many of them, and have largely forgotten most since "The Purple Rose of Cairo." I wouldn't be a very respected member of the discussion circle. But I enjoyed this film a lot. Among other things, I think it is well-written, well-acted, and has a lot of techniques that remind me of the Woody Allen films I enjoyed so much. Like when Chris, the protagonist, encounters someone he knows on the street and starts talking to them - but you don't see them until they walk into the camera's range. Little things like that. The film doesn't have a traditional Hollywood ending, in my opinion, and I thought it was very fitting that opera played such a key role. The few opera librettos that I have seen are really very simple as stories, and don't demand a lot of thinking on the part of the listeners/viewers. The film revolves around the role of chance, or luck, in certain key events of life, and - on an individual basis - I think it's an interesting point. And a bonus: now I know why the Italian custodians at school used to listen to opera all night while cleaning the classrooms. That alone makes the film worth seeing.

I found a few things a little stretch in credibility: I don't think a ruling class family as wealthy and established as the Hewitts would be quite so susceptible to the intrusion of "lower-class" outsiders. But warning: everything I know about the personal behavior of rich people I learned from watching The Gilmore Girls. And I found Nola, the character played by Scarlet Johanssen, to be a little hard to believe. She morphs from a self-confident flirt at the beginning to a desperate victim at the end, without any clear line of development, although the ping-pong game foretells how the relationship will proceed. Nola is such a key player, but I find her somewhat unconvincing, perhaps more due to ellipses in the script than to problems with her acting. But it's an opera - the story is superficial, there are dramatic clashes, big emotions, ruling class figures, sex and passion. Just like the online discussion about the movie. Funny, Yogi, but I don't remember if a fat lady sings at the end or not. Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. Wait - wrong metaphor.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.