Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars people here must not have any knowledge of ancestry.com, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Ancestry (App)
I could see if you had never had any dealings with ancestry.com before that you could think that this app was completely free. However, to rate this app negatively because of this misinformation or lack of experience/knowledge is just plain unfair. As someone who has been a member of ancestry.com for years and just downloaded this app today, I can tell you that it is amazing! My tree is pretty large, and this makes navigating it so easy! I have had limited dealings with it so far, but I dare to say that it appears to be even easier than accessing the web version on my computer. I pay for the more expensive international version of ancestry.com which is nearly $35 a month I think (discounted if you buy a year at a time), so when I saw that people were expecting to have access to MILLIONS of records for free because of this app I was boggled. Yes ancestry.com is expensive, but it is a fraction of the cost that it would take to buy a plane ticket to go to any of the counties where your ancestors were from and get the information yourself (not to mention the price that county offices or historical societies charge to make copies of the documents which can be up to $1 a page for unofficial records and up to $25 for birth, marriage, and death certificates in my experience). They don't have all of the documents and records that I have needed by a long shot, but they have only been running for 10 years I think, and get new documents added to their archives every day. The person who was critical and stated that all ancestry.com does is take a lifetime of your research and give it to everyone else is totally missing the mark. First of all, you can make your profile private so that no one else can look at or gain access to your tree. Secondly, making your information public is just good karma. I have run into countless people who have been willing to share their information with me because I share information with them. These people who have researched the same family lines are obviously distant cousins-which is why they are researching the same people. Do you think that your ancestors would have wanted their descendants hoarding information about them? For instance, family heirlooms, stories, and pictures were often passed down to the oldest children in the family. It wasn't uncommon for people to have families of 6-12 or more children in a family. Should I not know what my 4th great-grandparents looked like because the one photo that was taken of them was given to their oldest child and my ancestor happened to be their 3rd child? I've never written a review of anything before which you can probably tell by the length of this. Bottom line...the app is great.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2012 10:56:59 AM PST
A. Brookes says:
Excellent and objective! I think WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE makes people think you log on Ancestry, all the leaves pop up and there you have it. All nice and neat. Ancestry is a great resource, and this little app is useful.

Posted on May 31, 2012 7:12:35 AM PDT
D. Sandor says:
If you're already a member of ancestry.com, do you have to pay an additional fee??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 4:08:33 PM PDT
Emily says:
Nope.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 7:16:00 PM PDT
Sugg says:
I shall get this ap for my kindle fire as soon as I finish this comment. I've been using ancestry.com since 2003. Was jumping up and down for joy when I found my great grand father, great grandmother and at that time 4 children, with the eldest being my grandfather on the 1880 census. I knew even with the last name spelled with an e instead of a u, that this was my ancestors because of stories passed down in my family for over 100 years. I joined as a monthly member several times in the last decade. The 1st time I joined after the free trial was almost up I called to cancel. The guy attempted to get me to change my mind. I told him I've been on the site 16 to 20 hours per day to get the information I needed and there is nothing else I can find. I told him if he could tell me on the 1850 census and before which field hand, or wench good breeder, or house servant, maid, wet nurse, butler, cook was my ancestor since they were listed by ages then I would gladly remain a member. You see I found my great grandfather on the 1860 census listed as free colored. Blacks were listed as chattle on any census reports before 1870 :). I still love me some ancestry.com because so many distant cousins have located me and me them thru ancestry which they do not give out your email address, people write them, they send the email to you without their email addy and vice versa. I have a family site with over 1920 people, over 500 photos from the early 20th century to 2008, over 150 documentary proofs, on and on and could not have done all of that research to actual proof without ancestry.com.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 6:12:26 PM PST
I just tried the ancestry app and I was surprised by how intuitive this app is to those who are familiar with the ancestry.com website. I now have my family tree at my finger tips.

Posted on Mar 22, 2013 9:08:59 AM PDT
C Nishida says:
I love that I can take my tree with me wherever I go. Now when I go to visit relatives, I can "fill in some blanks" in our family tree. Much more easy to take my kindle than lug around my laptop.

Posted on May 5, 2013 11:51:38 PM PDT
D. A. Lewis says:
Great Review. I just got my wife's Ipad 1 and was looking for stuff to put on it and decided to do the genealogy thing again. I sorta dropped the hobby/habit about 10 years ago when me hard drive crashed and I lost a ton of data. I had been to may states and had it all easily stored on the old computer. But when the hard drive crashed I was so "crushed" I just stopped all together. But today it is way way different. I got up to speed in about 3 weeks and I'm only missing a very small percentage of the data I lost.

The main thing that makes the program work however is the easy access to the census records. While the hassle of going to the nearest family history center is not eliminated, I can do all the easy research at home. So much time spent going through the soundex, then finding your census reel and then hopping no one else is using the same reel. And then putting it on the microfilm machines and then scanning through the reel to find your district and then searching through the district. And then looking for a place to print. And then repeat repeat repeat. On the other hand it was pretty cool to pick up the skills with the easy relatives.

Still, the ancestry program is great and I will be investing in the pay per month version after all the easy stuff is done. At least for a little while.

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 6:28:44 PM PDT
THANK YOU!!! I get so tied of people complaining about the cost of ancestry.com. I too have paid for the world membership & find I can easily access the records, save & print. I don't understand why people don't understand the concept of public tree to private tree! By having my tree public I have had great experiences with contact & sharing. I Love this app. It's easy to use.

Posted on Sep 1, 2013 1:16:57 PM PDT
Diana K Ford says:
I totally agree with this poster. The app is great!

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 8:53:34 PM PDT
I love the fact that I can have Ancestry.com wherever I go!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›