Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

3.0 out of 5 stars More difficult that previous games, April 17, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
My children are 4 and 6 and LOVE playing the previous Star Wars lego game (the complete series one). However they often argue about which direction to go. I loved the idea that this new game would do split screen and thought, HA! no more arguing! For the most part that's true, other than they now argue over who gets to be the jedi character (but once they unlock everything for freeplay, I assume then they can both be the same jedi as in the previous game).

The issue that I really have with this new game is two fold.
1. It is MUCH more complex than the previous games. The puzzles are harder to solve, there are many more actions that can be performed and it requires more fine motor skills (like targeting your light saber when you throw it).
2. There is a lot more happening on the screen at many times, it's distracting. In fact at times it's hard to find 'your guy' or the other guys in your party because there may be 200 attacking battle droids on the screen with you.

I had to resort to googling to figure out how to finish the R2 vs evil R2 level.

Oh that reminds me, another complaint.... some of the levels are WAY TOO LONG. I like to limit the amount of time my kids play PS3 to about an hour long session a couple of times a week. Some of the levels I've seen take WAY longer than that unless you've done it before and make a beeline to complete the level. I wanted to tell the kids, OK that's enough TV, time to turn off the game, but then they lose all progress and would have to start over the next time.

This is a new game to everyone here, so I'm sure given time, the kids will adapt to the new controls and it will all work out, but these are my initial impressions anyway. I would buy it again, but I agree with other reviewers that say it's a step forward in graphics, but a step backwards in terms of actual game play.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2012, 10:37:17 PM PDT
CynicalCzech says:

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012, 6:09:38 AM PDT
rawbar says:
That would be fine if you could save your progress and return to the game later and continue. I'm not going to let my two kids sit in front of a TV for 3 hours though, it's not healthy for your body or mind. I was a big game player myself, In Diablo you could get to a new waypoint and then quit. In older RPGs you'd just save and continue where you left off. We're missing that element here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012, 9:54:09 PM PDT
They did that with Lego Batman 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2014, 5:28:59 PM PDT
K. Ries says:
As someone that's been playing games for a very long time now, the "olden" days were not inherently better, at all.

Posted on Jan 9, 2016, 4:40:38 PM PST
Andrew Z. says:
I actually think it's the opposite, the older LEGO games are a bit harder than the new ones because they aren't nearly as fine-tuned as the newer ones are. I consider The Clone Wars one of the older ones, before checkpoints and in-level saves. Therefore, with these older LEGO games, if you encounter a glitch (which is quite often, the LEGO games are notoriously very glitchy and buggy), then you have to re-do the whole level rather than restarting a checkpoint. I'm playing this game now and twice now I've had to re-do an entire level. Some parts can be difficult to figure out what you're supposed to be doing and I had to look it up on YouTube how to get by and usually as soon as you see the solution, you kick yourself for not seeing it because it usually is very obvious. It's easy to overthink these games especially when you're used to more difficult games.

These games aren't designed for children as young as 4 and 6, it's more for 8 years old+ (the actual rating of the game recommends 10 years old+). I have a little brother and cousin who are 8 and 9 and they can't figure out the levels without me helping them along because they're still a little too young to piece together the puzzles. And even like I said, I'm 24 and have to look up stuff to pass a part in a LEGO game every now and then, but for older players, it's a case of overthinking things and overlooking the obvious rather than just not knowing what to do.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›