Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 14, 2011
Earlier this year, when I read The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, Book 1), I found myself extremely interested in this new series by Rick Riordan. But, I have to be honest and state that I actually didn't care for this second novel at all. I feel like Throne of Fire will be a hit with MG and below, and perhaps some young teenagers, but it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Our two narrators are back, Sadie and Carter, and they're once again up to their antics, but this time I found their banter to be somewhat trite and obnoxious. Now, it was written for the younger crowd, and I'm an old lady (according to my students) so I think that plays a part in my reading of the novel, but at the same time, I just feel like the banter is a little too childish in this novel. I didn't feel that way in The Red Pyramid, though on occasion the banter in that novel was a bit taxing, but this novel really got to me.

While I did enjoy the Egyptian gods and goddesses, especially as I haven't read/learned much about them aside from this series, Riordan painted them in a different light than he paints the Greek gods in his Percy Jackson series. On multiple occasions I felt like the gods and goddesses in this novel were portrayed in an extremely juvenile way, coming across a bit foolish, though I didn't notice it as much in the first novel. Now, don't get me wrong, I think Riordan is an exceptionally talented writer, but this series is not for me.
What's this?