Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent buy...some disappointments, July 27, 2012
This review is from: NCAA Football 13 - PS3 (Video Game)
I love college football. It is probably my favorite sport. As seen in a lot of reviews this is just a rehash of the previous installments with minor changes. Not really a fan of the Heisman feature. I don't have much of a desire to take those guys and put them on other teams. Gameplay is pretty similar to earlier years. What I am impressed with is the recruiting. It's probably my favorite part of owning these games and this is the best I have seen it. It gives you the opportunity to "scout" players while recruiting them. This discovers their true rating and you don't end up having to stick with 4 and 5 star players to succeed. This makes it much more realistic as schools like my own (Kansas State) are able to find those gems and still do relatively well.

One gripe is that I have recruiting on the Heisman difficulty, but it is still relatively easy. I notice that there are numerous highly rated players (4 stars mainly) I recruit that only have a scholarship offer from my school at the end of the season. That is very unrealistic and makes it way too easy to get them. In real life, if a guy is a 4 star he is most likely going to have multiple offers from rather large programs.

The one HUGE ISSUE I have with this game is that it stalls after long periods (couple hours) of playing it. Therefore, I have to make sure I constantly save it or lose my progress. That is very annoying and disappointing.

As we all know, EA has a monopoly on this game so we probably won't see major improvements year to year. All in all, it's a fun game. Minor improvements on the previous installments, but still a worthy buy for the college football fan.

Update: As of 7/17/13 EA has long since fixed the freezing issues I mentioned. I know everyone has most likely moved on to the new game, but I thought I'd mention this. One other thing I'd like to mention is that the flow/movement navigating through menu items and the like is very laggy. This can make for an annoying experience in recruiting if you are very in depth about the players you are recruiting (i.e. constantly looking at the schools recruiting them, switching out recruits for others, etc.)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 7, 2012, 3:06:07 PM PDT
Chris Cooper says:
I've only had the stall thing happen once. Though there is a constant lag after plays, freezing for 3-5 seconds if trying to run a hurry up offense. (even in offline play)
My biggest complaints would be:
1. the linebackers were supposed to not make the "super human" catches, jumping and over the shoulder like a WR. But they still do, and a lot!
2. There is also a constant screw up with the sound on the PS3 version. Sound for the commentators & the crowd will just silence for a second or two, sometimes mid-word or mid-sentence with the commentators.
3. I've noticed the dreaded "look for your assigned blocker" happen with the defensive players. This started with Madden 12. Say you are a DL player, supposed to rush the QB. If your blocker is lined up outside you (away from the center) your DL will run to that blocker!! It is really lame, but only happens when that blocker is to the outside. Instead of crushing the QB, your DL will run down the line to get blocked. LAME!

Having said all that, I think the game play is better than it has been in previous seasons. I'd give it a 3.5/5. If it weren't for those few glitches this would be a near perfect game.
I still will play and enjoy it. Best EA football release since 2010. They still haven't gotten everything right but this isn't as bad as some previous releases.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012, 1:40:36 PM PDT
xTheUnbornx says:
I notice the DL running into block all the time. I couldn't agree more. Also when punting high punts a couple yards back from the endzone, my players will just stand there and let the ball bounce into the endzone instead of trying to keep it in play on the 2 or 3 yard line. You have to physically take control of a man and try and make contact with the ball.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›