Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Raimis' Spiderman and a good reboot, but, not completely necessary., October 11, 2012
This review is from: The Amazing Spider-Man (DVD)
Lets get something straight, you don't HAVE to choose which take on Spiderman you prefer. Know one says you can't like The Amazing Spiderman if you liked Raimis' trilogy. You can have BOTH. You don't HAVE to choose. Also, some people are saying "THIS is the TRUE take on Spiderman" or "Sam Raimis Spiderman was the REAL Spiderman" this is FALSE. One thing I love about the Spiderman character is that there are multiple takes you can spin on the character. Raimis' Spiderman trilogy was the more classic 60s cheasy Spiderman, while this movie is a little more modern for a take on Spiderman. There is no "true" take on the character, see? Personally (as a big Spiderman fan), I actually ended up enjoying this movie and the old trilogy EQUALLY.

Now That THAT'S out of the way, The Amazing Spiderman pretty much started production once Spiderman 4 was cancelled. I was really looking forward to Spiderman 4 at the time, and when they decided to reboot the series, I was pretty ticked off. Don't get me wrong, if they had just made Spiderman 4 to give that series a conclusion, I would have been perfectly fine with a reboot. To me, a reboot just didn't seem necessary. In my opinion, the only purpose in rebooting a franchise is if the series had a strong ending, or if the latest entry was so terrible that it would be time to try something new. Looking back, Spiderman 3 did have a good ending to that trilogy overall, but this reboot still came out WAY to soon. 5 years, really? WAY to soon.

Once the first trailer and marketing began for The Amazing Spiderman, I decided to finally accept that the trilogy is done, and this reboot is really happening. Now, after seeing the film, it's very good, and does a great job at separating itself from Raimi's trilogy. However, there is ALOT of hit and miss with this film.

The plot is pretty simple. Peter Parker is a nerdy, geeky teen at high school. When he gets bitten by a radioactive spider however, he develops "amazing" spider-like powers. Laters, to avenge the death of a loved one, he becomes the superhero "Spiderman" with his new abilities. Along the way, he develops a romance with a crush, and later must come face to face with the villain "the Lizard" a powerful creature Spiderman is (ironically) responsible for.

The POSITIVES:
-Most of the cast was great. I loved almost each portrayel as I did with the cast in the old trilogy. Andrew Garfield did just as good a job as Tobey Maguire, while giving a very different take on the character.

-The effects and action were very good. Not improved over the old trilogy by THAT much, but still very good.

-MOST of the writing was really good. They did a great job at establishing this new world for future movies.

-The dircting was great. The film was paced very well.

-If there is one thing that was "improved" comparing this to the old trilogy, it's Gwen Stacy. I actually thought Gwen Stacy was both written and acted very well in Spiderman 3, but, Emma Stone stole the show whenever she was on screen. Also, the love story was very good in the old trilogy, but, it's REALLY good in this movie. Garfield and Stone did a great job together.

The NEGATIVES:
-The biggest problem with this film is how it never feels that "necessary". Say what you will about Spiderman 3, but it certainly wasn't TERRIBLE. The trilogy just didn't feel "complete" at the time. A reboot to compare this to is Batman Begins. Why did Batman Begins work as a reboot? It was a reboot that NEEDED to happen (considering the last Batman film we had before this was the horrible Batman and Robin). Also, Batman Begins was a VERY different film in comparison to "Batman, 1989". The Amazing Spiderman, however, is another origin story. Although Amazing Spiderman is very different from "Spiderman, 2002" there is still writing that is almost identical (with it being another origin story). If this came out BEFORE "Spiderman, 2002" this movie would have seemed much better. But, watching this, there are differences for the sake of it, so you can't help but think "this scene is almost identical to the first film" or "that was changed ONLY to be different from the original", so that can be a problem while viewing this movie.

-In terms of casting, almost all the actors did a great job. However, the one character I thought was MUCH better in the old trilogy is Uncle Ben. The actor in this film is OK, but isn't nearly as good as the original actor.

-Another big problem with this movie is the Lizard. For one thing, the character design isn't BAD, but it reminds me WAY to much of Killer croc from Batman: The animated series (just with a tail)The CGI was great, but I didn't care for the design at all. Some people are trying to defend this design beacause it's based off of the "original" Lizard character (because of him not having a snout) BUT, when you compare the designs, they are still VERY different. Also, I personally thought the Lizard character was written the weakest out of all the characters, which is a shame considering he is the main villain. They had a great build up and origin for the character, but once he was established, it seemed like they ran out of ideas. As a villain, I thought his character was written REALLY badly in the climax.

-This film was promoted as "the untold story" but in reality, they don't give you much more information than what you got in the old trilogy. Specifically, they HEAVILY marketed a plot premise in this film, which is the fate of Peters parents. Unfortunately, everything you get in this movie about his parents is pretty much given to you in the trailers. There isn't any plot twist or "reveal" given at all, as the trailers promised.

-And another thing I hated? MORE false advertising! In the trailers,there are a few lines of dialogue that aren't heard (or even hinted at) in the film: "Did you actually think that what happend to you Peter, was an accident?" and "If you want the truth Peter, come and get it!" I swear, there is NO WAY these lines were cut from the film without there being changes in the writing first, NOTHING like these lines were even hinted at in the film.

-The 3D. I didn't HATE the 3D, but it is converted, which I was not aware of. There are 1 or 2 cool scenes in 3D, but that doesn't make up the ticket price. This movie just is NOT worth paying the 3D price, which is a shame considering Spiderman is a PERFECT concept for a 3D movie.

Overall, the biggest things that weigh this movie down is the poor writing of the Lizard, and that you can't help but think of the old Spiderman trilogy in some scenes, which takes the fun out of the experiance. But hey, Spiderman is one of my favorite super heros, and I thought they did an excellent job in this new direction. Like I said, there is no "true" take on the character. Tobey Maguire did a great job with his performance, and Andrew Garfield gives a great performance to. Overall, The Amazing Spiderman isn't quite "amazing" but it is just as good as Spiderman 1 and 3 (just not nearly as good as Spiderman 2) So, if you didn't care for the "classic 60s" take on Raimis' Spiderman movies, you should have a good time with this one. A solid 4 out of 5 star superhero flick. :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2012 12:53:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 1:01:51 PM PDT
FallenMarvel says:
Nice review. One thing I have to say is while there are a lot of comparisons to this and Raimi's films I feel this is a strong start for a more steady trilogy if they do it right. Sipder-Man 1 was a good set up due to the fact we never had anything like it before at the time. Honestly, after watching The Amazing Spider-Man I couldn't watch Spider-Man 2 the same any more. I truly saw how night and day those movies were. Even for what those movies were at the time I didn't like the portrayal of the characters and I absolutely loved Spider-Man 2. It's definitely a step above the first. As far as Spider-Man 3 goes, well we are going to disagree because that movie was a soap opera as far as I'm concerned. lOl

As far as the plot with Peter's parents. I felt it got it's fair share of appreciation. One of the reasons he was helping Connors was to maybe continuing the work his father did. They also revealed that Connors knows what happened to his parents. Not to mention what Norman Osborne's role in it.

Martin Sheen I thought was good as Uncle Ben. For one he had more screen time before getting killed. I also thought it was a nice touch with Peter listening to his voice mail he sent the day he was killed. I really think they excelled in character developement this time around.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 1:35:40 PM PDT
Wild1138 says:
Thanks for the comment. And although I did like the story of Peters parents and how that arc will lead into future movies, my complaint was that they showed EVERYTHING they had to do with the film in the trailers. And like I said, the false advertising REALLY irritated me. And I don't think we will ever agree on Spiderman 3, but I thought it was really good for what it was (although it had heavy flaws).

And I guess im 1 of maybe 5 people in the world that liked all 3 Spiderman movies AND this one, Lol. My main problem is that a reboot just didn't feel necessary, YET. And the actor that played Uncle Ben in this one was kind of bland, and just OK. But I do agree with you that the voice mail Peter was listening to (from the day Ben died) was a nice touch, that was a good emotional scene. Anyway, I liked this movie anyways, and I have a good feeling that we can get some pretty great sequals in the future, can't wait! :)

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 9:31:38 AM PDT
Very hard to decide which one I like more. There's some things I love about the original and there are some things I love about the reboot. Probably the ultimate Spider-Man movie for me would be a combo of both.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 6:32:45 PM PDT
Wild1138 says:
I personally love all 4 Spiderman films equally, but if I had to list them from greatest to least...

1. Spiderman 2

2. Spiderman

3. Amazing Spiderman

4. Spiderman 3

Like I said, I love all these movies equally, but this would be my list.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 11:40:53 AM PDT
FallenMarvel says:
Had to love the wisecracks. Classic Spidey banter and it was consistent. Love it!

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 12:31:15 AM PDT
A fair review, but I had to laugh at your reference to Martin Sheen as "the actor in this film" as if he were a nobody. You've never heard of "Apocalypse Now" or "West Wing"? Personally, I preferred Sheen's portrayal to that of Burt Lancaster in the 2002 film.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 5:01:43 PM PDT
Wild1138 says:
Lol, I know who Martin Sheen is, I just couldn't think of the name when I wrote the review. I was really tired and too lazy to google it, and I didn't remember the original Uncle Bens name either, so I didn't really think it was a big deal. I actually didn't hate Martin Sheen in this film at all, but, when I saw Cliff Robertson on screen, I just truly felt like "he IS Uncle Ben" Also, this is more the writers fault, but I was a little ticked that they left out "With great power comes great responsibility" Yeah, it's cheasy, but iconic. As grounded and realistic as Nolans Batmans films are, he at least new to leave in the Batsignal, gadgets and vehicles, lol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 10:23:32 AM PDT
I love the movie as well, it's not like Batman Begins didn't have familiar aspects to the 1989 film. Yet, Amazing Spider-Man gets picked on for giving us some of the same things as the 2002 film. To me this movie is better.
I mean Mary Jane saying she always loved Peter at the end of the Raimi film didn't make much sense when she barely noticed him in the beginning. Next to Spider-Man 3 it's much better as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 4:53:20 PM PDT
Killraven666 says:
I delayed watching Spider-man 3 because so many people said how awful it was. I watched it recently, yeah I know I'm late (lol), and I honestly liked it. It was a soap opera and was the weakest of the movies but it was good. Now one of the things I've taken away from all four films is that Tobey played Peter Parker spot on (introverted nerd) but Andrew played Spidey perfect (wise-cracking hero). Overall I liked all four films in the series, UNLIKE all the Batman films between Batman Returns and Batman Begins. Not to mention Supermans 3 and 4, UGH...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 6:27:33 PM PDT
Wild1138 says:
LOL! I personally kind of like Batman Forever what what it is, but it isn't even close to perfect. Batman and Robin is crap though. As for Superman 3 and 4, well, let's just say it would be better if those films never existed, lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›