Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on May 29, 2014
Well I got my hands on the long awaited Retron 5 today and its , , OK. First off i was pleasantly surprised by the controller's buttons which has switch buttons, it gives a nice click when pushing the buttons but after playing it for a while i switched to the original controller and it was better (of course)

NES:
After figuring out you have to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to get it to power on, I was greeted by its menu. I put in my first game, and it couldn't read it, second game, couldn't read it. Long story short it could only read 1 of 6 of my copies of super Mario/Duck hunt cartridges. All of these cartridges work flawlessly in my original NES system, ( I fired it up just to make sure).
Genesis:
I put in my copy of 6 pak, BAM, it knew what it was!, I was greeted with the selection screen of 6 different games and chose Shinobi, and it played fine. I selected reset from the Hyperkin menu and it reloaded , , , Shinobi (NOT the game selection menu). I tried to take the game out and it it was STUCK in there. I had to REALLY pull hard to get that genesis game out. Finally did and it loaded it, Shinobi. Power cycled the console, Shinobi. I had to go into the Hyperkin gamesave manager and totally delete all files associated with the 6-Pak game. Got the selection screen again! I selected Sonic this time. played it, hit reset and Sonic again. SIGH, looks like it needs a major software update because the only way I can play another game on that 6-Pak is to to totally delete all gamesave files Each and EVERY time.
Snes:
Played every game i stuck in and worked well!
GameBoy Advance - GameBoy - GameBoy Color:
It played them all with little complaint except for GBA games it didnt recgonize many of them but allowed me to play them anyway after pushing through a warning screen.

OVERALL: My fingers are sore because it holds onto cartridges on the nes and genesis and does NOT want to let go of them. The menu is clunky although it does allow you to re-map buttons. The wireless controllers button identifications are, , weird. Just look at it, its strange. It plays NES games faster than the original console, yeah I noticed that. The Hyper-Picky-Kin Retron 5 needs some work and I think 3 stars are generous. Maybe the next batch will be better!
66 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?