Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on February 26, 2012
I work as a Karaoke DJ and tend to keep all of my music on an external hard drive. The problem with that is people spill drinks and get clumsy around equipment when they're drunk. So, I decided to do some research and look for an external HDD that would be able to support the large volume of music and at the same time present me with the comfort and confidence in knowing I have an external HDD that will withstand "torture".

I ordered my A80 1TB HDD on February 13th and it arrived February 16th. So, right off the back their was a prompt and quick delivery of the product. When I opened the package I was very pleased to see the sleek, clean, ergonomic design but at the same time I could tell that this unit holds a solid quality feel. It comes with 2 USB 3.0 Super speed cables. 1 of which rests beautifully inside the side of the HDD case. Not only does the Silicon-Power A80 use the Asmedia AS1051 processor they are also one of the first USB 3.0 chipset certified manufacturers. Silicon-Power promises that this unit meets the water resistant standard and the U.S. military drop-test standards. I will run both the drop test and water test on video for this review.(COMING SOON)

Before I run the drop and water tests I wanted to run a Benchmarking test. So, I used HD Tach. Now remember, anyone running any benchmark tests must understand that the mileage depends on hardware configuration. Basically, what type of computer hardware and software setup you're running.

I'm running:

Windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 32Bit OS
2.67 GHz Intel Core2 Duo
ASUSTeK P5Q SE2 MOBO
4GB RAM

HD Tach

1TB Silicon Power Armor A80 USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive : AVG Sequential Read 89.2 MB/S
AVG Sequential Write 88.4 MB/S
Burst Speed 127.3 MB/S

The result of this test helps me see that this unit IS FAST!!

I did some further comparison to give people an idea of real time transfer rates.

5GB File size -> USB 2.0 External HDD = 14:05 minutes
5GB File size -> USB 3.0 External HDD = 4:25 minutes

It took about 3x longer to transfer a 5GB file using USB 2.0

My suggestion to anyone looking for a high quality and durable External HDD. Get the A80!
I'm 100% confident in the products Silicon-Power produces.
2828 comments| 504 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.