Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

2.0 out of 5 stars Downward Spiral, October 11, 2012
This review is from: The 2nd Law (Audio CD)
Full disclosure - I've been a big fan of Muse's since the early 2000's when I picked up an imported copy of Origin of Symmetry. So perhaps you might dismiss this as me grumbling about Muse evolving away from their earlier sound, but I thoroughly enjoyed the band's growth up through Black Holes and Revelations. However, the Resistance included some troubling signs that the band was starting to become a bit too self-indulgent in their sound.

I'm not going to belabor the point, but I find most albums that are breathlessly recommended by people who tell you to "listen to it with headphones on so that you can appreciate the full brilliance of the technical accomplishment" to be boring, overwrought, and ultimately not that good.

I'm not a music snob - I like music that moves you, and that connects with you emotionally in some way. Muse's earlier albums were big and bombastic and in your face and they rocked in a way that bands don't rock any more. I don't like technical accomplishments of composition and production that don't still manage to connect with you emotionally. Resistance was a jumble of decent to good songs, and boring, forgettable "new-Muse" songs. The 2nd Law is nearly entirely forgettable, and there's not one song off the album that moves me, or inspires me to give it multiple listens.

I fully expect that bands have to evolve over time, and that this will alienate some of their listeners. Unfortunately, Muse has evolved away from a band that embraces big riffs and big sound to a band that has created boring, forgettable songs. I hope that they can recover from this, like U2 recovered from their Zooropa/Pop misadventures.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2012 8:01:43 AM PDT
Kelly Glenn says:
I agree!!. I also found "Resistance" to be a difficult album to love, and it has, over 3 years later, only managed to achieve "kind-of like" status for me. I like a wide variety of music/genres, and what I loved the most about Muse was the ROCK!! And at the same time, it was music that moved me. Hard to explain. But, quite simply, both "Resistance" and this new record just don't move me. At all. Quite unfortunate, since I think they are really talented and capable of so much more than this mediocre and sludgy mess of an album.
A friend of mine blames the "un-awesomeness" of Muse's last two records on the fact that Matt is dating Kate Hudson. He compares it to Lennon hooking up with Yoko Ono, "which everyone knows ruined the Beatles." Made me laugh at the time, but maybe he's on to something....
Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:08:21 AM PDT
Would you believe that I had written another paragraph discussing the Kate Hudson effect, but decided to delete it. It was something along the lines of a boring and forgettable album inspired by a boring and forgettable girlfriend (who also ruined the Black Crowes).

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:34:23 AM PST
Jvb says:
I love your review and I too blame Kate Hudson!!!

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 8:29:24 AM PST
AM says:
I so agree with you guys, I discover them and saw them live in 1999, first part of RHCP in Paris.
Their first album (when they were 18) is by far their best, musically speaking.
WTH is going on now with those mamamamamamammamadness... Its ridiculous and such poor tastes. The more album they released the less I like them...

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 9:03:16 PM PDT
JW pepper says:
thanks for what you wrote. i loved muse, showbiz and hysteria, loved them untill Resistance. i bought that cd with bright eyes and felt let down, thanks to what you wrote, dont think ill check this one out, maybe on youtube. muse was the best band in the world,what happend?

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 3:20:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2013 3:22:01 PM PST
Animals is one of the best songs they've made in long while, and Supremacy is completely infectious. For all its overblown ridiculousness, Survival is also a rocking song. The 2nd Law is not as bad as you've made it out to be. I agree that they've gone too far with the experimentation thing, trying to dabble in every music genre possible, but their musical abilities are stronger than ever. And if you don't think Exogenesis Symphony Parts I-III from The Resistance are among the best songs they've ever made, then you're delusional; they're brilliant.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›