Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Just received my SATC Complete Series today! Yipee!!, May 15, 2008
This review is from: Sex and the City: The Complete Series (Collector's Gift Set) (DVD)
Hi all SATC fans! Like the the first two reviewers, I wondered what the difference between this collection, currently on sale for $109.99, and the "Collector's Edition" on sale for $196.99. But since all I really wanted was to have all the episodes on DVD I went ahead and ordered the cheaper set. When I received it today, I read the back and toward the end of the top paragraph it said:

"Celebrate the show that explores the day-to-day - and night-to-night, world of single women in this, the definitive collector's edition.

With that read, I wanted to see if I really got the "Collector's Edition" so I called my girlfriend who bought her "Collector's Edition" at the regular price of $300 back a few years ago to compare the difference. Good news! Sounds like they're the exact same thing! What I received in my $109.99 set is a pink velvet spiral binder with various color pictures of the ladies and scenes from the show and short summaries of each episode. The DVDs are nicely tucked away, by seasons, in pockets of thicker pages after the summaries. The pink velvet spiral binder comes in a plastic sleeve for protection from scratches, etc. There's no way, however, to see if this DVD set was made in 2007. Everywhere I looked said 2005. Oh well, I'll be happy if all the DVDs work!

If you want to peek at what this set looks like I suggest clicking on the "Collector's Edition" for $196.99 and looking at Picture 4 of 9. It's the picture with the binder (closed and open) with the DVDs nicely scattered in front of it. That is exactly what I received today.

Happy shopping and I hope this helps!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 16, 2008, 11:31:31 AM PDT
Mawrter says:
Great review! It was very helpful and now I am definitely thinking about purchasing it! And just in time before the movie comes out!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2008, 11:01:02 PM PDT
What is the difference between this set for $109 and the collector's edition for $196? I want to buy the complete series of dvds but I really dont want the other stuff that comes with it. Help!

Posted on May 22, 2008, 4:52:00 PM PDT
This review is very halpful, thank You, but I still have a question. Does this cheaper DVD set have english subtitles??

Posted on May 22, 2008, 4:56:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 22, 2008, 4:57:01 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2008, 11:16:23 AM PDT
IDcam says:
Hi! Yup, it has English, French, and Spanish subtitles. =)

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2008, 11:20:36 AM PDT
IDcam says:
Hi Monique, I don't believe there's any difference with the two except the price. This is a great deal because I think your only other option (if you just want the DVDs and nothing else) is to buy the seasons separately and that's probably more expensive in the end. This set is nice because it keeps all your DVDs organized in one place.

Posted on May 27, 2008, 9:17:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2008, 9:19:14 PM PDT
cchocolate says:
Yes, thank you for this very helpful, descriptive review. my husband wanted to surprise me w/ the collector's edition before the movie comes out. he saw your review on this set after he ordered the $196 set. He immediately called amazon (thus how i found out :) and asked what the difference is. the amazon rep said there is no difference at all, but not sure why they sell it at different $$. so we're returning the $196 set and re-ordering the $109 set. in case others are interested, amazon is very good about the whole thing, they gave us a free shipping for return and 100% refund.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008, 4:43:01 PM PDT
rickshayne says:
Thanks for the wonderful and insightful review that explained what I'm sure everyone was wondering!
Do not wait and order this set right now, this is one of the best shows of all time, I just finished watching my set, which I bought 2-3 years ago, even though I had watched the show on tv before.
WONDERFUL.
As a word of caution to users, be careful with the removing and placing back of the discs, three of mine had tiny scratches that made the discs skip.

Posted on Jun 3, 2008, 4:05:51 PM PDT
Apparently the price is back up to $199 again. I knew I should have bought it when Amazon had it listed at 109.99! I guess that was a special. Anyone know if Amazon does this often and if I should wait on the price to go down again?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008, 9:58:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2008, 10:01:28 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
Unfortunately I think this was a one time sale because of the movie release. Along with Amazon other stores including Best Buy, Target.com, and Walmart.com were all selling this set for $109.99. All of the prices shot back up to $199 within a few days of the movie coming out so I don't think the sale will be back anytime soon. I have noticed that there are some great deals on Ebay...i've seen some selling for as low as $89 brand new, still sealed. Those are hard to come by, but the average selling price seems to be around $130 or $140...still much lower than most stores are asking for it!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›