October 29, 2015
So, after the 'hand me down' original Fire tablet I had finally tanked after about a year of use, I decided it was time to replace it. Apple and Google make decent tablets if you're into that sort of thing but not me. Sure, my smartphone is an iPhone 6 but that doesn't mean I want a 'giant' version of it. What I want is an easy to use, durable and inexpensive tablet. I certainly don't want to take out a second mortgage to pay for it either. Enter the fire HD 8. This bad boy has all the same features as those more expensive tablets for half the price. The new Silk OS is fast, the memory is expandable and it has plenty of apps (if you're interested in that sort of thing). I use this primarily for browsing Facebook, reading books, and comics. I don't play games but I understand it's no slouch in that regard. The HD 8 has great battery life and screen resolution. I purchased it before it was released only having read one professional review about it. I've been pleasantly surprised with it. I find new features all the time. For instance, I recently found that the keyboard supports a "swipe-style" interface stock. No need to download one. It also supports screen rotation regardless of how I hold it. Which is a plus for me since I never pick it up the same way twice. Even the lock screen before it's woken up will open to face you, instead of having to rotate it to a default position once it's on. I really like that. There is an option to lock the screen in place if that kind of thing isn't for you. Having owned it for two months, I highly recommend the HD 8. If you want a sensible alternative to the tablets out there, pick one up today. I don't think you'll be disappointed!
2 people found this helpful