Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind for future gardens, November 9, 2011
I bought this Seed Vault directly from the vendor's website, and not from Amazon, but I am so pleased with it that I wanted potential buyers to know they'll be happy with it too. I've also bought a seed sprouter, Tattler lids (for canning) and some herb seeds from this vendor's website and and have been happy with my purchases.

All the seeds in this vault are are non-GMO heirloom seeds, which means I can harvest the seeds from this year's garden and replant next year without buying more. The tin it comes in can be resealed, unlike another seed vault I bought that came in a crimp-sealed tin can. We opened the can to see what we got, and decided to try some of the seeds. We grew the beefsteak tomato, California Wonder bell pepper and the Blue Lake bush beans this year, and saved the other seeds in the vault for later. The seeds sprouted well - I don't know the percentage that did or didn't sprout, but *most* of the seeds sprouted. And the plants produced well all summer long. We enjoyed the tomatoes the best - it brought back memories of my childhood, when my father always planted beefsteak tomatoes.

I liked that the seed packets in this vault are made of mylar (metalized plastic) with a zip lock top. This helps keep the unused seeds fresh longer, and keeps them from spilling out of the package once it's opened.

If you like to grow your own fruits and vegetables, and know they aren't genetically modified and are old fashioned heirloom varieties, you won't be disappointed with this seed vault!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2015, 5:21:22 PM PDT
Pink Lair says:
Hi Lisa, nice to see a authentic review here and thank you for your review. I see that you got this in 2011. Have you used this much? Do the seeds survive long time storage such as a year? I am trying to make a decision on seeds that I can buy and store some of them. I am looking for GMO free seeds. Do you have any suggestions. Thank you for your time if you read this. Embla

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2015, 5:33:27 PM PDT
Lisa Kearns says:
Hi Embla! Thank you for your comments on my review! I used some of the seeds from this Vault this year - tomatoes and green peppers. We still had a high rate of germination despite several years in storage. We keep the seeds in our garage, which is heated and cooled so they are a constant 75 or so degees in summer, and 65 in winter. I think that's the secret to keeping seeds viable.

What I like best about these seeds is that they're heirloom. I save the seeds from the fruits and I can use them again the next year. Hybrid plant seeds don't work like this.

I'd suggest looking at http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/ as I've used them for many items over the years. Good luck to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2015, 6:09:48 PM PDT
Pink Lair says:
Thank you so much Lisa, this is exactly what in looking for, seeds that I can collect from prior harvest and I'm so happy you got a good germination. I've heard that you can store them in the fridge? The temperature around here can fluctuate from the 20ies F in the winter to the 80'it's F in the summer. Any ideas or suggestion how I might store them? My garage is the temperature of what is outside. Kindest regards Embla.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2015, 1:15:53 PM PDT
Lisa Kearns says:
You can store seeds in the freezer to protect them. I've done that with seeds and it works fine. The fridge would also work, since you mainly want to protect them from temperature extremes and fluctuations. I double seal mine in ziplock bags, and label them (what they are, and the year they were gathered). The seeds in these seed vaults are sealed and protected to last many years - and as the years go by you just get lesser germination.

Good luck to you! It makes me happy when someone practices the old fashioned way of doing things!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2015, 3:34:56 PM PDT
Pink Lair says:
Thank you so much, you have truly been helpful to me. I guess it makes the 2 of us doing things the old way 😉 I love many of the old ways it fights against the new toxic ways. Thank you so much for your hep I highly appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2015, 6:55:29 AM PDT
Lisa Kearns says:
I'm glad I could help! It was nice chatting with you and next time I'm harvesting seeds from our garden I'll think of you doing it too!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item not available
Reviewer

Lisa Kearns
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: North Carolina, USA