Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Portable Grinder I've Found, March 29, 2011
This review is from: GSI Outdoors JavaGrind (Sports)
Length:: 0:32 Mins

I mostly use this grinder at my office and when I am offshore (I'm an engineer--my veins have more coffee than blood in them--and it's hard to get good coffee in the Gulf of Mexico) and I'm happy with it with a few caveats.

The Good:
*I am fairly impressed with the build quality. You have to apply a decent amount of torque and jostling to grind coffee by hand, and this grinder seems up to the task. The handle and shaft are both metal, and the clear plastic body feels thick and robust.
*The design allows you to safely carry enough coffee for a couple of pots in the grinder, which is perfect for me to travel with.
*The grind is adjustable from coarse to fine, so I can use it for my press makers or a regular drip maker. There are a couple minor flaws here though (see The Bad).
*The honeycomb shape of the bottom makes it fairly easy to rest over most presses while you grind (just don't push too hard!).
*It is fun to use (call me crazy, but I like the thought of grinding my coffee by hand)

The Bad:
*As a couple other reviewers have mentioned, there are no instructions to be had. The box has a rudimentary drawing, but that is all you get. For those that are interested in buying, I've included a set of mini-instructions at the bottom that resulted my from my trial-and-error.
*You adjust the coarseness of the grind by turning the wing-nut with the handle detached. This doesn't really allow for much accuracy and consistency as there are no markings to indicate grind level. I generally try to count the number of turns and write them on the lid.
*The lid can not be completely removed, which makes cleaning the inside a little annoying.

All and all I doubt you are going to find a better hand-operated burr grinder out there. For all it's flaws, it does it's job well, and I enjoy using it.

Mini-Instructions:
*To remove the handle, turn the rubber grip away from the grinder and pull up. Simply flip it over and re-attach it to start grinding.

*To grind, turn the handle clockwise. The coffee comes out of the bottom, so make sure you remove the rubber cap first!

*To adjust the coarseness of the grind, remove the handle and turn the wing-nut. The best way to judge the coarseness is to observe the gap between the burrs at the bottom while you turn it. Clockwise is finer, counter-clockwise is coarser.

***Review Update***
So after months of use the grinder is still going strong, and I wanted to add a couple things to the review.

First, you can actually clean the whole thing by removing the wing nut completely and pulling up on the black plastic top. When you do this be sure to note the order in which all of the parts for the grinder go together, as they will come out too.

Second, I found that the easiest way to use this is to put the french press in your lap between your legs, using your legs to grip the press. Just use one hand to hold the grinder on the clear part and the other to turn the crank. This way you don't wind up pressing down inadvertently and changing the grind.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 30, 2011, 5:40:20 PM PDT
Abby Horton says:
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Despite having been a barista for years, I could NOT figure out how to adjust the grind on this thing. On mine, if I turn the wing nut, the screw turns as well, so I have to do this little awkward juggle wherein I hold the screw still while I turn the wing nut... Anyway, your review appears to be the only place on the entire internet where anyone explains how to use this thing. Good on ya!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012, 12:39:13 PM PDT
Joshua J. says:
I'm glad I could help :) That is a bit unusual though, I wonder if there is a defect on yours?

Posted on Jun 19, 2013, 9:37:50 AM PDT
Gerry says:
check out the porlex mini grinder, thats the one i ended up with. stainless steel, catches its own grinds, turned out perfect for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›