Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all about the zoom, April 10, 2010
This review is from: Canon PowerShot SX210IS 14.1 MP Digital Camera with 14x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Camera)
This is a very fun compact camera. I don't believe they upgraded the sensor from previous Powershot cameras so the picture quality isn't a miracle or anything. What is really cool about the sx 210 is the zoom lens. I get shots with this camera that just wouldn't have been possible with my old Elf. There is such a huge difference between using the true optical zoom on this or the digital zoom of my old camera. In that way, there is sort of an increase in picture quality because I can get in close on my subject and not have to crop my pictures and lose resolution later.

The video function is also a plus. The sound from the stereo mic is decent and, again, the zoom lens really comes into play in terms of the shots you can get. I've shot videos of my kids on stage, clear across a large hall, and really come up with some nice clips.

I haven't used the manual settings on this camera as much as I thought I would. I've found it difficult to focus accurately or quickly enough with the little wheel. I play with it sometimes for macro shots and such but, primarily, I've used the automatic function to good effect. Someone who wants to spend the time and play with the various functions and gimmicks will probably enjoy this quite a bit. I tend to have my hands full these days and it has been very useful as a point and shoot, enhanced significantly by the ability to zoom in close.

The pop-up flash takes some getting used to but over time I've come to like that feature. There are a lot of times I don't want the flash to fire and it's nice to be able to just snap it shut or hold it shut as you turn on the camera. It becomes second nature eventually.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 13, 2010, 9:24:35 PM PDT
I wonder if you considered the Leica V-LUX 20?

I am extremelly happy with it. Specs are very similar except that is a 12 MPix and more expensive.

I am not a professional so I would be interested in the opinion of some one like you.

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2010, 12:19:20 AM PDT
Iowadad says:
Yowza, that's a beautiful looking little camera. I have to admit, I didn't even know about it because this price class, the sx210, was high as I could spend for a camera.

I've owned only three digital cameras. A Cannon elf before this one and a 5mp Kodak for years before that. A few friends have dslr cameras so I'm familiar with how much higher the quality can get than the sx210. That's why I tried to make my review specific for someone like me; Someone looking at cameras in this price range with roughly this set of features. For that I gave this 5 stars because it's everything I need it to be. And I can't find any reviews, specs or sample pictures from the sx210's competitors to make me believe I was wrong to go with it.

The Leica is simply a different class. At that price, it probably has a rather high quality lens and a higher powered sensor than the sx. I could tell you that the difference in megapixels doesn't imply that the sx210 produces higher-quality images. The sensor and the lens would be far more important than that difference in mps. I mentioned in the review that I suspect Canon went overboard on the megapixels.

Anyway, thanks for reading and enjoy that nice camera.

Posted on Oct 31, 2010, 8:31:58 PM PDT
K. Shin says:
Does this camera have auto audio recording level adjust during video to avoid clipping (distortion) in loud settings such as at clubs and live concerts? My SD1100 has it but S90 does not and still not sure about S95... It could make or break a video hence a very important feature for me. I enjoyed your review, thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2010, 2:28:11 PM PDT
Iowadad says:
Y'know, I'm not sure if it does. I haven't had any problems with clipping and I've had it at some marginally loud shows and out in the wind. No guarantee but I bet you can find it in the online specs. My guess is that it does have that feature regardless of the S90. I think their goal with the S90 was very specifically about picture quality and they would be more likely to skimp on a video feature like that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›